1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting .aa files to mp3's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by marcpod, Aug 24, 2004.

1. betabeta

betabeta Member

This happened to me at first too, but I have XP prof. First make sure you can launch and play an .aa file in WMP (windows media player) and that little audible control works over there. If it does you should be okay on the Gold wave side. On the install in goldwave you might see a message about installing a directx filter or turning in on. That is the missing step I was refering to when I said "During the install of Gold Wave it told me I needed to turn the DirectX filter on for WMP once the install was complete. Did that inside of Goldwave and all worked."

You may have had this message and missed it. So to be sure, Start goldwave, click Options, Plug in, Effect, and select DirectX. A new box will open, check off WMplug (I also checked RealPlayer plug since I use that too). Once selected close and then reopen goldwave.

That fixed the problem for me. Next time I opened an .aa file and the little audible control that you normally see in WMP opened too.

But again, I'm on XP Pro, I don't have any Vista PCs to try it on.

2. Fairy9

Fairy9 Guest

spam removed

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2008
  3. knipknup

knipknup Member

Hmmm, heading off to try TuneCab... Stay tuned...

4. Viper714

Viper714 Member

Well I loaded it in XP and everything worked!!! Unfortunately I purchased SoundTaxi prior to all this but it seems that the goldwave method works better. SoundTaxi on Vista is a Dog. They say it works better in XP. Going to try that. Will let you know!!!!

5. cgacfox

cgacfox Member

Ok I am lost guys. I have GW installed and have followed all the steps laid out by Xeerex. I can play the book in WMP 11 and a little selection navigation box pops up. When I try to open the book in GW it won't recognize the .aa file. I switch to all files and open it and get an error message. It says it cannot determine the file format. There are several things I can choose from but I have no clue as to what to do next. All I want to do is convert to MP3 and have the book in managable chapters. Is there an easier way to do this? I am not very savvy when it comes to things like this.

6. betabeta

betabeta Member

If you have performed the step I mentioned above "You may have had this message and missed it. So to be sure, Start goldwave, click Options, Plug in, Effect, and select DirectX. A new box will open, check off WMplug (I also checked RealPlayer plug since I use that too). Once selected close and then reopen goldwave. "

and you are on XP it should work the next time you close and open GW and open all files. Sorry can't help more without actually seeing what is happening, error messages and such.

7. cgacfox

cgacfox Member

Well, I did get it to work....sort of. I uninstalled the latest version of GW and installed an older version. It then worked. However, it did not take the entire part 1 of the book and convert it. It starts after the beginning some time. Do I need to start it over again? Also, once I get this to work, how can I break it up into the original chapters so that it is easier to work with on my player? Audible just gives you one HUGE file and I am not sure how to break it up into the chapters after that.

8. cgacfox

cgacfox Member

Well I redid the 1st file and it worked!!! Also converted part 2 and it works fine. Now I need to figure out how to break it up in the original chapters. Is there a program out there that can do this? I know I will have to probably listen to the entire file to get it to work but need a program that will do it.

9. phenner

phenner Member

10. sam4949

sam4949 Member

If you are using goldwave to convert AA files first.

Once you have the AA flie loaded in Goldwave you can convert it to MP3 direct without converting to Wave format.

You can also at the same time as you convert to MP3 you can get Goldwave to automaticly split the file into segments of any lenght you like and name the fils at the same time.

You can also get goldwave to look for silence in the file say at around 15 mis intervals and split the file within a few seconds of the time you want but all the splits will be time based not chapter based

Regards

11. betabeta

betabeta Member

Sam4949 beat me too the punch, I just used the markers in goldwave to split the files, read the user doc, it will explain better than I can. I'm so happy you were able to get it to work!

12. kkaudible

kkaudible Member

Please help.

Hello, I am a serious newbie, this new fix for conversion is difficult for me. I still can't get Goldwave to recognize my Audible file in the drop down. I open my Goldwave, then i clicked "open" in the drop down to find my audible file to convert. It sees none. I went to Plugin-Effect-direct X. But my choices are only "cyberlink Audio noice reduction" and Cyberlink Audio booster." I have no WMA or anything else. Please tell me what I am missing. I do have Lame enstalled as an encoder. I am using XP.

13. kkaudible

kkaudible Member

I finally got it to find one of my files in my documents, audible, downloads, but the smal square "section Navigation" opens up and just sits there. Nothing happens. It is suppose to take this long to open the file?

14. betabeta

betabeta Member

KKaudible, have you ever been able to play an audible file in windows meadia player? you must play one in that first and make sure it works correctly then go back and try the steps we have been discussing in this thread. Also in goldwave, when you do a file open, use *.* to locate your audible files. I hope this helps.

15. kkaudible

kkaudible Member

Sorry i spoke too quickly. I was pulling up the file from the wrong folder. I finally got it to work. Thanks for everything.( and for answering my question.)

16. bclear

bclear Member

Linkvoid, You are my HERO! Thank you very much for the work, the excellent instructions and for the freedom to play my darn audiobooks FAST!

Happy New Year!
    bclear

17. xeerex

xeerex Member

Hi Everyone,

I've found another way to do it; however, it requires some "paid" software. Here are the basic instructions. If anyone is interested in this method, I can create a video tutorial showing how to do it.

############
    DRM-less Audible Titles
    #############
    Use Nero 7 Premium to open AA file from iTunes library - authenticate with audible login/pass

Convert it to audio CD image in Nero

Open .nrg (Nero image) in UltraISO - convert to Alchohol image format

Open alchohol image format in UltraISO - extract wav/mp3

Import to iTunes and tag - copy artwork from protected AA format to mp3's also!

18. Dyne

Dyne Guest

I just want to make sure the WMA/Goldwave/Old AudibleMediaPlayerFilter process works. It doesn't on my computer because my sound drives are not updated. But I'm going to try it elsewhere and I would like to be sure it works.

19. betabeta

betabeta Member

Its still working for me on Windows XP Pro.

20. AriBe

AriBe Member

Works perfectly. I used the link by Linkvoid. I never got Windows Media Player to actually play the aa file first. I then just went to Goldwave and loaded the aa and then saved as mp3 and it worked! At first, Goldwave wants to save as a different type file and when I selected mp3, it changed the rate so make sure you look at the bottom of the Goldwave aa file to tell you the original format: ie. 16 bit, 22050 Hz, mono. If you save the mp3 file and it plays like it is running too fast, then you selected this wrong. Thanks everyone!

ps. I bought Tunebite several months back and never had it working right. This method is simple and works perfectly!