1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting .aa files to mp3's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by marcpod, Aug 24, 2004.

1. tewcewl

tewcewl Member

This, for some reason, actually worked. It kick started Goldwave and I've been able to convert files ever since. I hope this method works for you, TahitiDan.

2. shawkath

shawkath Guest

I downloaded the huge number of converted audi files in this website
    www.connectgprs.com

3. kjohn73

kjohn73 Member

I downloaded the huge number of converted audi files in this website

Can you elaborate a bit? I went to the site but didn't find any audio files other than a few songs????? Thanks.

4. Viper714

Viper714 Member

Yeah, I found the same. Nothing of real audiobook interest there!!!

5. knipknup

knipknup Member

I think that was a spam attempt or something.

Anyhoo, I am still very pleased with soundtaxi. I have found a few files that ended up glitchy, maybe about 5% of the time. Has anybody else had this issue using soundtaxi?

6. timzjimz

timzjimz Member

Another thanks to Linkvoid - I was recording off the audio stream before searching for a better way. Everything worked fine.
    I didn't open audible beyond an intial login when finding files for the intray. Just opened from Goldwave. Some files had save as greyed out once imported - but this option came back if I clicked File-batch-processing.
    Files from a different audible account imported after I shut down goldwave re-opened - it didn't seem to link changing passwords while open.
    I saved as PCM wav files at same bitrate etc as original (which takes a couple of minutes but makes large files) so that I can save as different qualities later depending on need - smaller file for mp3 player or burning CD at max quality.

I also noted times for section breaks when playing file in audible to help editing.
    If you want to edit as mp3 then convert wav to mp3 by reloading wav file into Goldwave and saving as mp3 or, as I did, using a batch converter to do all my converted audible files in one batch overnight (if you don't have one Bonk Enc is free http://www.bonkenc.org/)

Once in mp3 I use mp3cut: http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html
    which is free and lossless (I am not sure if Goldwave re-encodes if you edit mp3s which will lose some quality - mp3 cut chops and saves with no re-encoding so is very fast and no loss quality). Splitting wav files in Goldwave will be lossless if you save at the same bitrate - you could then batch convert the wav chunks into whatever quality you want.

Knowing the section times you can cut into more manageable chunks. In mp3cut this is quick and easy (just click at one end of section, scroll to other end and shift-click, then CTRL-e to save selection. If you start this process from the end you don't mess the timings up. If you then delete what you have saved you have an easy start or end point for the next chunk. As long as you don't save when you exit the original file won't be altered. The chunked sections are then easier to scroll around when reloaded if you want to break into smaller pieces (being tidy or small minded I like to split by chapters).

If you like mp3cut I find the rate it moves with arrow keys to get to an edit point is too slow - go to Configuration - Opertaion - and put skips in at about 20 for >>. Also be careful when scrolling/dragging not to dip mouse below graph area - edit point jumps like crazy.

It is probably noted elsewhere that Audible is doing a 2 free downloads offer - going through http://www.quizknight.co.uk/charity.html takes you to an offer that is for the basis rate. Nothing new there but when I cancelled I was offered 2 more credits for the usual basic fee - and ended up with 5 downloads for one months subscription. A nice bonus to my regular subscription.

Thanks again Linkvoid for the kit.

7. Kydnon

Kydnon Member

I need some help with this please. My aa files play fine in the newest version of the Audible Manager and also in Windows Media Player 11. I downloaded the software package
    kindly provided by Linkvoid and installed goldwave, copied the LAME encoder to goldwave’s folder and installed the audible media player filter.
    I checked that the aa files still played ok in both the Audible Manager and Windows Media Player. Then with both these programs still open but play stopped and progrmas minimized, I opened Goldwave and attempted to load an aa file. This is where I got lost and didn’t know what to do.
    Goldwave opened a dialog box titled: File Format, with the message: Cannot determine format or file: xxxx.aa Please specify a format below.
    File type: Dialogic (vox) or
    RAW (snd, raw)
    And then another set of choices:
    Attributes:
    ADPCM 4 bit, 8000 Hz, 32 kbps, mono or
    8 other sampling rates
    I don’t know what to do, what to choose if anything from among these choices.
    I tried both dialogic and RAW, without success. Goldwave would not play the file
    Just a lot of strange noise. Choosing to save the file as an mp3, the resulting mp3 file was just audio garbage too.
    Under Options File formats in Goldwave it lists the Plug-in module order as:
    Goldwave Wave, MPEG Audio, Extended Audio, Apple, Apple-C, Amiga, Sun, sounds
    FLACFile FLAC:Lossless Codec
    OggFile Ogg
    QTFile Quick Time Audio
    WMAFile Windows Media Audio
    No listing of aa as a supported file format that I could see...
    I don’t know what to do, but I think that for whatever reason Goldwave is not recognizing the aa file format.
    Any ideas about what I could try? I must be doing something wrong here, but don’t have a clue as to how to proceed now.
    Thanks.

8. timzjimz

timzjimz Member

When you attempt to open the *.aa file, make sure you know which folder it is downloaded iinto, browse to this folder in Goldwave 'file-open' then select 'all' in the 'Files of type' list.

9. timzjimz

timzjimz Member

I would also try it with both audible and windows media player closed - Goldwave loads fine for me without these open - once Audible has accepted my password for the aa files when I first loaded it have not opened it since when successfully converting.

10. BORT7

BORT7 Member

Anybody else having problems saving the .zip file that Linkvoid provided? I believe the link could be broken. Says corrupt file when I attempt to download it.

11. BORT7

BORT7 Member

Nevermind! Thanks!

12. Aliester

Aliester Guest

This soft is quite reliable :) I like the feature to convert several files in parallel. For example I was able to convert up to 10 audio book files at the same time. http://www.melodycan.com

13. timzjimz

timzjimz Member

14. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

15. Aliester

Aliester Guest

Nope! This soft is both simple and functional and that's why I've posted this link!

16. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Aliester..OK I Apologize...Got a link for c@ack

17. Aliester

Aliester Guest

Well done! :)

18. Kydnon

Kydnon Member

Timzjimz
    Thank you very much for your suggestions on how to solve my problem with Goldwave. I will try them tonight. Sorry for the late acknowledgement, my internet connection has been down for the last week. I fixed that problem today with a new Ethernet card I put into the computer. Don't know how much you miss having it-- until its not working!

19. puffy1983

puffy1983 Guest

You should try Tunebite, it is a good converter

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2008
  20. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

link removed