1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting .aa files to mp3's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by marcpod, Aug 24, 2004.

1. DarkAnt

DarkAnt Member

Hello folkes...im an Audible.com Employee that works out of the Los angeles office (not the NJ one) and guess what.im gonna quit tomorrow. as this is the case i may be able to answer any of your questions you may have....infact...if u want a free title...ill be kind enough to grant this to you IF you have an audibe account and ask within the next 24 hrs.

please respond to this with an email address associated with your account and the title u wish to have...dont be greedy...one book per email

please email questions and request to Blackheart781@gmail.com

2. eddieo45

eddieo45 Guest

I'm a good searcher, so I found, and am now reviving, this thread. I found something called Tunebite, which is free, and is at this moment converting my aa's to mp3's. The only downside is that appears to do it in realtime, so my 8 hours of podcasts will take 8 hours to convert!

3. phenner

phenner Member

4. Mez

Mez Active member

I am not sure but if it does aas I would look into PowerAmp converter is is probablt the best out there. It converts most serious audio formats.

5. BClews

BClews Member

Ordered a key for Audio Converter 5 from River Past (nice people). Have my audible books playing in media player, but I'm still getting the "this file contains no audio" message when I try to convert. I ignore the message, but the file never loads.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks,
    Bud

6. eddieo45

eddieo45 Guest

sorry for the inaccurate (and lame) post. I was in a big hurry packing for vacation and looking to convert, like, 10 one hour podcasts before I left. Turns out Tunebite free trial only did a minute of each. Since my return, I've tried to read most of this thread. Seems most are using Goldwave or the old River Past. I searched for PowerAmp and found this one:
    dBpoweramp Music Converter R12.4

Is that the right one? Is it easier than the other two, as I see folks having various codec and dll challenges? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2008
  7. eddieo45

eddieo45 Guest

Mez,
    looks like dbPoweramp doesn't handle AAs.......

8. Fawny

Fawny Guest

TuneCab converts DRM-protected and unprotected music, films, video clips, audio books for playing on PCs, mobile phones, MP3 players, MP4 players and iPods, PDAs, PSPs and other devices.
    http://www.tunecab.com

9. eddieo45

eddieo45 Guest

if anyone else out there is having difficulty with GoldWave (and other apps) converting .aa to .mp3, you might appreciate this admittedly clumsy workaround I've stumbled upon. This worked for the one hour podcasts I was converting; not sure if it would work with much longer audio books.
    1. I added all my .aa files to iTunes.
    2. I made an iTunes playlist of one of the files, then burned that playlist to a CDRW.
    3. I opened that CDRW in RealPlayer and saved files as mp3s.

This, of course, took some time and energy, but I had tried and failed a number of times with Tunebite, Soundtaxi, and others. My situation might be unique, as I bought 8 podcasts from audible, then canceled when I couldn't play them in my cellphone/mp3 player. I've just been looking for a way to play those 8 shows, not an ongoing solution.

If you're adept at codecs, dll's, and so on, this may be like walking around the block to get next door, but if you're a noob like me, it works (and it's free).

10. knipknup

knipknup Member

Not be sound like a broken record, but...

For the $15 I spent on soundtaxi, I have converted about 20GB of music. It works great. Best $15 I've spent on software in a long time.

11. olyteddy

olyteddy Regular member

I've been using TotalRecorder since it was only $12. I see no need to change even now, 5 years later.

12. BClews

BClews Member

Thanks for sounding like a broken record! I bought soundtaxi and it works perfectly. Thank You!

13. nacht

nacht Member

I have been converting with Goldwave for over a year now and until just now just had problems with the occasional crash in Vista.
    But with this one last part of the audio book (6 hours long) I am suddenly having trouble.
    First GW kept crashing after it went through the procession at the beginning.
    I then tried playing it in WMP, now it opens the file but just the first couple of seconds...

This is seriously weird because I've just finished converting the other 4 parts of the book with no problems at all...
    and every other aa file works fine too..

Anyone have an idea what went wrong while I redownload the file?
    (I am using link's kit by the way)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  14. audibler

audibler Member

Hi!

Anybody who wants an Audible book without DRM, in plain MP3, mail me your login name (not password!) and the book's URL. I'll reply with a download link. The MP3s will be the same size as original book, ID3-tagged, no transcoding, one file per chapter - will play in ANY player, no DRM, no watermarks. I'm the one who cracked the protection. :)

It doesn't cost you anything, you just download from an anonymous upload service of your choice (can be Sendspace, 4Shared, RapidShare, MegaUpload, whatever). It's perfectly safe - you don't provide any personal info, no passwords, nothing against the rules. Everything in confidence via anonymous email.

You still have to buy your books as usual, of course - this is about Fair Use, not stealing. But when you do, you will really own them. Just when we're done, please, at least drop a line back here so everybody can see that it works!

What's in it for me, you ask? I upload free MP3, I keep a copy -- we both benefit. :)

PS: Other, less practical/more paranoid, way is to download AA files yourself, zip, upload to SendSpace.com or similar (not RapidShare!) and mail me URL of that upload. This way, you don't have to provide any info about you and it's completely anonymous. Although it means download+upload+download for you, instead of just one download, those files are quite small and you can check my genuineness safely. :)

See you!

15. amit18

amit18 Member

Hi,

I have an Audible file, but no Audible account (the only thing which stops me from making the file DRM-free). Can somebody with Audible account convert the file to WMA/MP3? The file is of approx 65 megs.

TIA,
    Amit18

16. amit18

amit18 Member

^^Bump...

17. betabeta

betabeta Member

amit18, why not download audible? Its free, you don't have to join to get the player.

All others, I haven't read recent updates on this thread so someone may have already posted this. Zune now plays audible!!! I love it, no more need for converting files for me!

take care all.

18. amit18

amit18 Member

That's a news for me. Could you point me to the link?

19. JoeBooks

JoeBooks Member

Anyone know the secret?

20. redoctoba

redoctoba Member

Thanks Linkvoid. Great to have people share info with those less technically minded. Your info has worked a treat but I've got a Philips SA23xx and for some reason when I drag and drop my files onto it, it plays them back to front. The files are all in order on my laptop and when i drag them across they look fine but when I play them back they're in the wrong order. Doesn't happen with any music files. Probably a simple solution. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks very much.