1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting .aa files to mp3's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by marcpod, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Ultra_Sun

Ultra_Sun Member

I have watched this thread for years and attempted (with NO luck) many of the methods outlined throughout the post. There is a new option now that is free. The name of the program is called iTurns. Currently, they have a free version at that will do the trick. The logic of this program creates a virtual drive on your hard drive and then proceeds to use one of your burn rights to burn a copy to your hard drive in MP3 format (nice work around). It was designed for items purchased at the iTunes store and not really for audiobooks, but it will create MP3s for your audiobooks.

The PRO version has the advantage of output formats other than MP3 and 196 KB (like an audible file could justifiably be advertised at 196 KB). The disadvantage is that the program will create a giant mess when it comes to file naming conventions and the ID3 tags (basically the same disaster as when you pull them from a CD). BUT IT WILL GIVE YOU AN MP3 file without having to burn them to CD. I have tested 6 audiobooks (150 to go) so far and it has performed as promised. Currently, this software comes in Windows only, no Mac or Unix version available. BUT what do you expect for free.

P.S. I have tested this with an audiobook that was tied to Microsoft Windows MediaPlayer and it was able to strip the protection (not supported by the company, but it worked for me).

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  2. amit18

amit18 Member

Can the program convert an Audible (.aa) file into MP3 without having an Audible account?

3. jazzmass

jazzmass Guest

The simpelest way is (was) this:

* You burn with nero the images-files.
    * You extract the image files with PowerISO (Now you have the .wav files.)
    * These files can easely be converted to whatever format you like.

I said (was) because not all audiobooks allow to burn with nero.

Good luck!

4. Mez

Mez Active member

I did not know Nero would burn a DRMed file and suspect it will not since that is illegal. If you can play the file any DRM removal tool will do the trick.

5. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Nero will burn an Audible AA book if you have an Audible account meaning you are the owner of the file. I burn my Audible books to audio CD's with Nero to play on a CD player in my truck. Those unprotected CDD's can be ripped into mp3's if I ever wanted to do so.

6. Mez

Mez Active member

If you have the account you can play the tune so there are many choices. Such as just removing the DRM. However, if you do not have an account you have no legal way to remove the DRM.

7. trising

trising Member

ok I have tryed the gold wave and all I get is static what am I doing wrong

8. trising

trising Member

ok I have tryed all of this and the files from gold wave just buzz help please

9. Mez

Mez Active member

Do you have Nero?

You can also try using a DRM remover or a capture from the sound card apps that lets you try 10 files before you buy. The one app will capture anything that is played on your computer.

10. trising

trising Member

Yes Ihave nero6 and where would I find a older version of goldwave

11. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

12. trising

trising Member

ok I have tryed the gwave from 2 and up and its not working what else can I do with out spending more money on this please

13. trising

trising Member

Ok I got it thanks to all of you for the great info I was making one error I was copying the filter over instead of installing it dah

14. ramkaka

ramkaka Member

15. Mez

Mez Active member

I do not use these but I would guess you do not use gold wave at all since that gold wave is the problem. Just try to burn directly. The suggestion did state this did not work for all.

I still reccomend using a audio capture device that captures out of your sound card. This captures EXACTLY what you hear. There are some capture apps that let you capture 10 tracks before you have to pay others put a beep in the audio every minute. What is so power about these apps is you do not need a sepereat app to capture from the input jack, the internet, a tune you are playing from an app. They sell apps to do each of these types of capture. These do it all and I would suspect more cleanly. Obviously gold wave does not to it cleanly.

16. Convertor

Convertor Member

LINKVOIDS SYSTEM WORKS PERFECT 99% of the time.

I have done all my aa. files with his system. you must not install the new audible codec. On an old PC that had the wrong Audible codec installed I would get a "Goldwave has encountered a problem and needs to close" popup but if you just let it keep going without hitting "OK Close" it would convert the file. Using a real time recorder to convert a thousand plus hours of audio books just takes far to long. If you don't want to use LINKS system, then just burn your aa. files to CD's (Rewrites if you don't want to use up disc') then they can be converted into any format any regular CD can. It takes about 5 to 6 minutes per 74 minutes of Audible file to go from aa to mp3 on an average PC. A 5 1/2 hour Audio book takes 4 CD's and about 20 to 25 minutes to go from aa to CD to mp3 with breaks being on chapter ends not in the middle of a sentence. This works 100% of the time. If you don't want to use CD's at all use an Image drive

17. trising

trising Member

ok I go it to work and it works great no how can I split op this firle in to shorter mp3 I know it can be done with gold wave just dont know how

18. JeremeyN

JeremeyN Member

Ok am I doing this wrong or what. I spent $26 on Sound Taxi Pro, because it said it can do 50x, and right now I am only getting 1x....freaking realtime.... Am I doing something wrong here????

I have not tried the GoldWave technique... if anyone could post a link on this thread to the post # that has the best guide would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks In Advance

19. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

trising: Just go on the net and find a free MP3 SPLITTER. I've used these 4 MP3 Audio tracks of some musical movies that all I wanted was the Music, and individual songs instead of 1 long track. They work pretty good, some have time laps meters that show start & finish. Some don't, you just have to keep looking. HOPE This Helps

20. enialbw

enialbw Member

I have been using SoundTaxi Pro for a couple of years now and it works great on wma audio books downloaded from my local library. It also works well on audible but since it speeds depends on converting several files simultaneously the more files it has available the beter.