1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting .aa files to mp3's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by marcpod, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Mez

Mez Active member

2. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

3. Mez

Mez Active member

I guess you will need to cut and paste it into your browser. The link didn't work for me either.

4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Thanks it worked that way [cut & paste]

5. kikoeru

kikoeru Member

You're a Godsend! It works! Now I just need to wait for my activation code so I can start capturing this monster!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  6. Mez

Mez Active member

Once you capture it to mp3 then you can work on it. You experiment whether to break it up automatically or not. This one requires that you play it with WMP. At least you will get some experimenting for free. If you can play the audio, this type of app will make an exact copy. For audio books I suggest about 25 bit rate.

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I use a program called MP3MyMP3 3.0, with this program any sound that comes out your speakers is recorded. The only drawback is it's real time, Quality is very good. I use it a lot to mix Nature sound Rain, Rolling Streams, Waterfalls,etc,with Music for Meditating..I'm sure it would do the same for these projects

8. Mez

Mez Active member

How does MP3MyMP3 capture? The best way a somewhat new concept card capture. That process will make an exact copy of what ever you are playing through your sound card. Yes, it is real time but it is fail safe in that it will always work. There are many of these apps out there. I do so little capturing I just use demos.

9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

it records what your speakers play..I've played a movie and just hit the record button on the MP3MYMP3 and it records the sound, also my Mic..Any type of sound over the internet, basically its like a tape recorder

10. e4solo

e4solo Member

Ref complete HowTo:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/103313/3232629

Yay !!
    Thank you danjoh99 !
    Here it is 2009-Nov and the above "kit" works just fine on wXP-SP3, WMP11 (or VLC)!!!
    p4@3gig, 2gig ram :
    58m "aa" file, 7mins convert, 7mins save :
    24k_8bit_mono = 20m file MP3 (hey, it's only a book), audio pretty poor but acceptable
    24k_16bit_mono = 42m file MP3, audio just fine

Thank you all !!!

Also thank you to (unnecessary for me but good info):
    nacht :
    I had trouble getting stuff to work after getting Vista, and this brought me back on track.
    I was missing a different dll though and downloaded it from

11. Mez

Mez Active member

This thread sure turned into a sewer hole! Not only is everyone and their mother posting email addresses but the solutions posted rescently don't work in many cases. Again, just read through the entire thread. That is a huge job.

12. e4solo

e4solo Member

Personally, I don't mind reading about what works and what didn't (and why). I am actually HAPPY all this was in (1) thread on (1) BBS.

13. lex222

lex222 Member

Hey everyone, I can't seem to get Links kit to download.. does any one have an alternate link. I have used it before and it works great! Just want to grab it again. thanks!

14. imno007

imno007 Member

I was using Soundtaxi to convert the new .aax format and it worked great. Then I upgraded to Win 7 64-bit (from XP 32) and to a newer Soundtaxi version and now Soundtaxi won't convert without iTunes installed - and then it converts at only x1 speed. Anyone else experienced this?

15. alba1314

alba1314 Member

Check here for latest info on how to convert your .aa files to .mp3 format: http://www.chuckegg.com/how-can-i-convert-audiblecom-aa-files-to-mp3-audio-files/

I can confirm that using GoldWave 5.58 I was able to complete the conversion process with no problems whatsoever. Yay!

Remember to first install audibleMediaPlayerFilter.exe. Also, when I installed GoldWave 5.58, it said that a file called lame_enc.dll was missing. Version 5.58 offered to download and install the dll file and put it in my Windows system folder. The file must have been necessary, as it stopped GoldWave from complaining and I was able to successfully convert a whopping 87.7 MB [pt 1] and a 90.2 MB [pt 2] file of the unabridged copy of Dean Koontz’s novel Lightning from the dreaded Audible .aa format to .mp3.

Also a BIG Thanks to Chuck from me!!! 03/12/2010.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  16. Mez

Mez Active member

lame_enc.dll does the converting of the audio to the mp3.

Like many apps, Goldwave may not own a license to distribute the lame encoder. You need to down load it yourself.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  17. doysc

doysc Member

I wonder if anyone can help with this?

I've seen a couple of others ask about this, but have never seen an answer...forgive me if I've missed something here!

The problem is, when I try to install Audible Media Player Filter by clicking on the 'Install' button, it just comes up with 'Error Copying files'. Please, does anyone know why this is happening?

18. ruru34564

ruru34564 Member

Try Audible Manager 4.0, newer versions prevent from copying into the Audible installation directory. 4.0 works for me.

19. doysc

doysc Member

Ok...I've solved it!

The 'Error Copying files' problem can be fixed as follows:

1. Right click on the audiblemediaplaerfilter.exe file and select 'Properties'.
    2. Click the 'Unblock' button under the 'General' tab.
    3. Click 'OK'

That should solve it!

20. doysc

doysc Member

One more thing...

I don't profess to be an expert or anything, but I do know that some Lame encoder versions can be temperamental. If you have problems getting Goldwave to initially open the file, and/or 'save as' to an mp3, because the process stops or the program ends up 'not responding', then it could be due to the Lame encoder version. Please feel free to check any other solutions given on this forum, but I had a lot of problems with the version included in Linkvoid's kit (that's not to say I'm not hugely grateful for his and Chuckegg's help on this), but depending on what's on your particular PC, different versions might be right for your system.

The Lame encoder version I've used is one of the most recent versions, and can easily be found by doing a Google search. The version number is lame 3.98.4 , and I've had no problems so far!

They are still working on Lame, so there may be an even more up to date version by the time you search.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011