1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting AVI files - which program?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by punkqueen, Oct 2, 2005.

1. punkqueen

punkqueen Member

Hi, I would like to know the best program for converting avi files so they can play on a DVD player. I have Nero and I managed to make one DVD with divx to dvd but that was a trial version and when i played to DVD 'divx to dvd' waxs written at the top of the screen! I just want a clear picture. Any help?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

There is a "DivXToDVD" Freeware Version that you can use that will NOT Leave a Logo on your Screen...You can download it in the Software section of this Site....

3. punkqueen

punkqueen Member

Which one is it? Is it the Avi2Dvd v0.3.2 Beta program because I tried with that but it just says 'interface not supported'.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

5. papadoc

papadoc Member

does anybody know how to split an avi file in half

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

You can Cut your AVI file in Half useing "Virtual-Dub"....

Just Load your AVI file into virtual-Dub and then set both "Audio" and "Video" to "Direct stream Copy" and then use the KeyFrame Buttons and the Slider under the Preview screen to select what Part of the File you want to save in a Seperate File then go to "file" to "Save as AVI" and give the File a name and save it and In a Couple Minutes you will have the First Half of the Movie then you Go and repeat this step but with the second Half of the Movie and save it and then you will have your File in 2 parts.....

Cheers

7. punkqueen

punkqueen Member

Thank you, I coverted the file using "VSO DivXToDVD" but now i'm having problems burning it to disc with nero recode- I start the process and then either it doesn't burn to disc or the nero window just goes blank, so I can't see the progress! Anyone know any way to fix this? :(

8. gilera

gilera Regular member

Why are you using recode?

9. cannew

cannew Member

SVCD2DVD, is the best.

10. Minion

Minion Senior member

Don"t Burn the Disk with Recode just use the Regular "Nero Burning Rom" and Burn the "Video_TS" folder to DVD in "DVD Video" Mode which will Burn your DVD For you....

Cheers

11. GiantMike

GiantMike Regular member

punkqueen, how long does it take you to convert an avi file in Divxtodvd? ive tried the program three or four times and it seems to take about ten hours to complete one movie

now im using WinAVI Video Converter and it seems to only take about two hours tops.

to all of you afterdawn addicts: am i loosing video quality in WinAVI or what? why is it so much faster, there has to be cons.

12. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well On My System it only takes about an hour to encode a 2 hour movie useing DivXToDVD which I rarely ever use....

You will Probably get about the same Quality or maybe a Bit better quality useing WinAVI Over DivXToDVD but WinAVI definately isn"t the best quality encoder there is But it is a Lot easier to use than Most other encoders and WinAVI will convert your AVI to a "Video_TS" folder which Most encoders won"t do for you as they require you to use a DVD authoring Program to Create the "Video_TS" Folder.....

Cheers

13. xiangjie

xiangjie Guest

hi GiantMike, certainly you do not worry about the quality of the output file created by the winavi. yes,it is fast, but not based on reducing the quality. And after you convert avi to dvd, you can select the "video_ts" folder to burn with it, so that you can watch it on your dvd player. If you want to author it before burn, you'd better firstly convert your avi to mpeg2.

14. GiantMike

GiantMike Regular member

if i go from avi to mpeg2 to dvd then will i be able to watch them on my stand alone dvd player ?

15. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes...After you have the Mpeg-2 file you Just load it into a DVD authoring program and create your menu"s and Chapters and it will format it all into a "Video_TS" folder which it then burns to DVD or you can Burn the Video_TS Folder to DVD yourself useing something like "Nero" in "DVD Video" Mode.....

Some encoders will encode Directly to a "Video_TS" Folder which you Burn to DVD which means you can Skip the DVD authoring step but you will also loose your Menu and Chapter Options.....

Cheers

16. punkqueen

punkqueen Member

Thanks for the advice. I've been away from my computer so havem't been able to respond til now. I converted my file but it is an MPEG 4 file not an MPEG 2 also I can't seem to find a "DVD Video" Mode in my nero. When I try to enter a DVD- RW disc it asks for a CD instead. I can't even remember how I made that first DVD or which program I used. I'm just totally stuck with this. I'm so clueless :(. Help anyone?

17. Minion

Minion Senior member

First you "Must" encode to Mpeg-2 because Mpeg-4 is not the Correct format for DVD....After you have it encoded to a DVD Compliant Mpeg-2 file you Load the Mpeg-2 into your DVD authoring program which will allow you to add your Menu"s and Chapters and then it will format it all into a "Video_TS" folder which you can then Burn to DVD in "DVD Video" Mode useing "Nero" but you can Not Burn your DVD with nero untill you have Created the "Video_TS" folder....

If you do not want to have to deal with Encodeing your Files and useing a DVD authoring program you can use a freeware program Like "VSO DivXToDVD" (Freeware version) to convert your AVI file to a "Video_TS" folder that you can then burn to DVD with nero.....

When you start "Nero Burning Rom" the Wizard will Pop up and on the Left top of the Wizard screen it will have the Option of selecting either "CD" or "DVD" after selecting "DVD" you select "DVD Video" just below it then click the "New" button at the Top Right and then navigate to your "Video_TS" folder and drag it from the Right side of the nero screen to the Left side and then Put a Black DVD in your Drive and click the "Burn" Button and wait till the DVD is Burned.....

Here look at this Pic and it might help you ....

[​IMG]

Cheers