1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting avi to DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by VOLmaniac, Jul 23, 2003.

1. VOLmaniac

VOLmaniac Member

I've read and read these forums until I'm almost blue in the face. I have learned a lot, but I'm not sure I know 100% how to do what I'm trying to do. I am wanting to put .avi files on DVD. This is what I believe I am suppose to do to make it work correctlt.

First I am trying to convert the .avi file to mpeg2 files (I tried opening the .avi files in TMPGEnc DVD author, but had no luck.). Next I use TMPGEnc DVD author to make the mpeg2 file DVD ready files. (sorry for the improper termenology) After this, I use Nero to burn them onto a DVD.

Does this sound correct? If so, what's the best way to get an .avi file into mpeg2 format. I have found some different converters, but they all seem to take extremely long hours. Is there a good program for doing this correctly in a decent time span?

If I'm doing this wrong, would someone be kind enough to guide me in the proper direction?

Thanks in advance.

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Convert avi to mpeg2 using TMPGEnc. Not TMPGEnc DVD Author. It is the program you use to make it DVD Compliant.

3. air69bud

air69bud Guest

I have tried and tried using tmpgenc and I keep getting errors with it. The video is fine and most of my .avi files have the xvid codec. I have used the templates and read more than a dozen web sites on the topic on how to use the program but still getting errors. Any idea what might be going wrong? I have a 1.4ghz system with 512mb ram and a 200 gig hard drive. the error message is an address xxxxxxxx in tmpgenc.exe.

4. VOLmaniac

VOLmaniac Member

2 questions. Is ther a guide for using TMPGEnc, because I can't figure it out?

#2, How long should it take to convert a file from AVI to MPEG2? I found one program that I have successfully used on one movie, but it took almost 20 hours to convert. This seems extremely long to me, but if it's the average - okay.

5. air69bud

air69bud Guest

Use this following link which will answer questions on tmpgenc and help in setting up your movie. http://www.dvdrhelp.com/tmpgencdvd.htm
    It depends on the movie size. A 2 hour movie will take about 10-13 hours if nothing goes wrong. Hope this helps.

6. AlphaDog

AlphaDog Member

Use UNLEAD DVD WORKSHOP it is awsome. It does everything all in one program.

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

What are the errors you are getting?