1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting AVI to MP4 for iPad - why files are bigger?

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by ppresto, Sep 17, 2010.

1. ppresto

ppresto Member

Okay, first off I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to these sorts of things so please bear with me.

I have an AVI I wanted to put onto my iPad but iTunes wouldn't let me just drag it or add to the library. I figured I needed to convert it to something else so I tried Xilisoft, SUPER, and Videora (I hate Videora's interface/GUI but that's neither here nor there) and have successfully converted it to an MP4 with each of them but here's the problem: the file size gets significantly larger. It goes from a 732 MB AVI to a 1.32GB MP4 file with Xilisoft, 1.2GB with SUPER, and just under 1GB with Videora.

How do I keep the file size from getting larger? I'd like to keep it about the same without losing any quality - is this possible?

I realize this isn't REALLY an iPod question, but I don't see an iPad specific forum section and didn't know where else I should actually post this since it's more a software question. PLEASE HELP!

2. Kell_B

Kell_B Member

If you don't like videora, you can use HandBrake. Also use CTmanager to add your video files to your iPhone without iTunes. Much faster!

3. Mez

Mez Active member

Maybe AVI is a more efficient format. Why would you assume mp4s would be at least as efficient as AVI?

This is as good a forum as any. Most of the concepts are the same. I have used handbreak. It works but my interface was only a dot prompt. I now just use Defab platinum but that is expensive and only works of DVD disks. However the compression was 9g to .5 g.