1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting avi to vcd -Newbie Help

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by BigB2004, Feb 20, 2004.

1. BigB2004

BigB2004 Guest

I have just downloaded an avi movie using limewire- i am running xp with wmplayer 9 and nero.

I would like to convert the file to a vcd - i have downloaded gspot which says that the file is an mpeg-1 file and that i have mpeg-1 codec on my system.

However, neither windows media player will show the film and nero wont accept the file.

What do i need to do with my system ie Codec downloads etc... these files play fine when i use the "launch" icon on limewire when downloading, but once downloaded i cannot use them. I have no probable at all with MP3's (playing or burning).

All help appreciated, but PLEASE in simple form - am after all a newbie when it comes to this.

Thanks all..

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well if the File really is a Mpeg1 file then you shouldn"t need anything special to Play the File because the Mpeg1 decoder is built in to Media Player so the Only thing I can think of is the File is Corrupted and that is why you can not Play it, But if Gspot says it can render the File then it should be ok so I don"t know what it could be...If it is a Mpeg1 file you Might just be able to Burn it to CD-R as a VCD without doing anything to it because VCD useing the Mpeg1 format but if the File is Corrupted then your DVD Player will Not play it either and Nero would give you some strange error when trying to burn it as a VCD...Try a DVD Playing software Like WinDVD or PowerDVD and see if they will play it because they are meant for playing Mpeg files....