1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

converting AVI to VCD...

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by HarvE, Jan 20, 2004.

1. HarvE

HarvE Member

Anyway I can convert my AVI files to VCD in a shorter time? Nero takes 2 hours to encode each part of the movie I downloaded.

Any faster way?

Harvey

2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Keep in mind that you're after the best video quality playback when converting (or backing up to VCD format). You might get better results using DVD2SVCD and convert your AVI file to VCD using TMPGEnc Plus Version 2.520.54.163 m8.

Shoey :)

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Afterdawn forum rules
    http://www.afterdawn.com/general/legal.cfm
    Mobo: MSI KT4VL-6712,CPU: AthlonXP Barton 2500+,Ram: 512 SD-DDR (PC-2700),nVidia GeForce FX5600(256MB DDR),Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd,WD 80 gig external USB 2.0 [/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2004
  3. HarvE

HarvE Member

Okay dude thanks alot. Im encoding using TMPGEnc right now. When its done encoding what do I use to write the file onto disk?

Can I just use Nero? If yes, then what category would I use? Multisession or data cd or something?

Thanks

harvey

4. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Do you have 1 AVI file or more? Bes ure when using DVD2SVCD using TMPGEnc encoder that you select 2-pass mode m8. Conversion time depends mainly on how fast tour CPU is, memory(SD-RAM or SD-DDR) and hd.(ATA\100 or ATA\133). You have the option to create bin& cue file format using DVD2SVCD and this is what I do when backing up a dvd rip to SVCD. Nero can get the job done but will await your reply post...
    Does your home dvd player support SVCD video playback? Do you see a "PBC" function on the dvd player or remote control? if so then your home dvd player will play SVCD(MPEG2) backups.

_
    Mobo: MSI KT4VL-6712,CPU: AthlonXP Barton 2500+,Ram: 512 SD-DDR (PC-2700),nVidia GeForce FX5600(256MB DDR),Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd,WD 80 gig external USB 2.0 [/small]

5. HarvE

HarvE Member

My DVD player plays any type of copy.

I have converted the file into MPEG format and for it to play on the DVD I was wondering which way I should burn it on for it to play on the DVD player.

6. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I highly recommend that you convert your AVI file(s) to MPEG2(SVCD) format as the video playback is far superior than MPEG1(VCD) m8. You can do this using DVD2SVCD& TMPGEn encoder or Canopus ProCoder.

7. HarvE

HarvE Member

I don't know what to burn it as though. Would I just burn it in nero as a vcd? or a data disk or multisession or what?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2004
  8. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Using DVD2SVCD during the conversion process, the program will creat MPEG for you. You also have the option to create bin& cue (which I do& highly recommend) and when all finished, I burn the bin& cue file(s). Depending upon the length of the file, how many passes you choose will determine how many MPEG files you end up with. For a standard dvd movie backup that is 2 hours in length converting to SVCD, you'll end up with 2 MPEG files and if enabled, 2 bin& cue files= 2 cd-r(w)'s.
    If converting an AVI to SVCD or VCD, "usually" 1 MPEG file and 1 bin& cue= 1 cd-r(w) I use a free burning program called burnatonce 0.99b to burn my bin& cue file(s) at very low speed. (4-8x)or use Nero if you wan't to.

burnatonce .099b
    http://www.burnatonce.com/downloads/

_

9. HarvE

HarvE Member

Ah, I see now. Thanks alot m8.

10. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Then just leave it or convert it to MPEG4. Best quality right there! :)

11. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I don't think his home dvd player plays DivX format? Viewing with the "naked eye", a backup of a 4.7 gig(or less) dvd movie burned to a dvd+r=just as good video quality playback as DivX(MPEG4). I'm not really comparing "apples to apples" simply because I have to watch DivX format on my pc. A dvd burner is less cost these days rather than purchasing a home dvd player that supports DivX(AVI) format. It takes me about 2 1\2-3 hours to encode& burn a dvd backup to dvd+r writing at 2.0

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2004
  12. Gaendalf

Gaendalf Member

I used this (TMPGEnco...) program to encode an AVI movie (pirates of the caribbean) to VCD (mpeg-1) and the picture is good and everything but i have NO SOUND!! I don't understand what went wrong?