1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting DRM-Protected .m4v files to .avi

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by ivymike, Oct 22, 2005.

1. senselost

senselost Guest

spam removed

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2008
  2. 4everard

4everard Member

Dear all, who like me are getting fed up with iTunes and want to watch their movies from itunes in avi or whatever. This is VALUABLE information. To get rid of DRM from m4a, m4v, whatever from iTunes go to this link (Trust me it works and is virus free). http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4775230/Requiem_1.8.6_(iTunes_8.1__Windows___Mac)

1. Download using BitComet or something similar (The application is virus free, scanned with avast professional)
    2. Extract to your preferred directory
    3. open the .jar file
    4. Click the + sign
    5. find your DRM File
    6. Click the Unlock (Padlock) sign
    7. Wait about 30 seconds
    8. Bam!! You now have a DRM free mp4 file which you can encode using your preferred encoder (AVS is good).

3. 4everard

4everard Member

By The Way, this process is lossless. The file is exactly the same as though it was DRM protected a.k.a The movie chapters will still be there, same amazing picture and sound e.t.c.

4. jessejame

jessejame Member

I tried the DRM remover you suggested and while it did work on the video it didn't work on the audio. I have found this to be true on all the DRM removers I have tried. And the same goes for the media converters as well. Im still looking though..

5. fwupow

fwupow Member

I just tried the Drm-Removal program cited in this thread for m4v video.
    It doesn't remove the DRM, it re-records it using some sort of screen capture scheme.
    This means that the conversion will only happen at the real-time speed of playing the file.
    This also means that you need to have iTunes installed and have the purchased rights to the file.

The resultant file playback isn't very impressive. The frame-rate averaged about 22 fps (max 26, min 7!) instead of the original 30 fps.

I don't do torrents, so the above option is not an option.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  6. fwupow

fwupow Member

I just tried another demo; Aimersoft Media Converter and the video quality of the resulting file was horrible.

Any software which claims to be a DRM Remover for iTunes *.m4v files and also be legal, works the same way. It uses scripting to open iTunes, play the file in a separate window and screen/video capture the images being played. It's also called re-recording etc.

If it's legal, it's not a DRM Remover/ripper/cracker. It just plays and re-records it. For that reason, the video quality will be inferior to the original and, in the case of HD video, vastly inferior.

7. fwupow

fwupow Member

I've also tried Camstudio and Jing to capture video from desktop and again the fps sucked.

I give up. I'm scrapping iTunes yet again. I'm not gonna pay $2.99 per episode of TV and not be able to play on all my devices.

DRM was a hair-brained idea. You need to prevent people from sharing files, not prevent them from playing them on the device(s) of their choice in the format of their choice.

8. bronco76

bronco76 Member

hey OP I don't know if you found a program that will work for you yet but what I use is actually two programs for ripping dvds. DVD43 is a free app and it takes care of the encryption and Handbrake encodes the video to whatever format you want

9. GrettaW

GrettaW Guest

I prefer to use SPAM converter.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2009
  10. richsmith

richsmith Guest

M4V is an extended version of MPEG-4 part 2 video stream. you can easily convert the itunes videos through tunebite.

11. zhaoqing

zhaoqing Guest

SPAM removed

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2009
  12. shakenp

shakenp Guest

SPAM removed

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2010
  13. free377

free377 Member

No it doesn't--it won't access my mp4 itunes file at all.

14. fwupow

fwupow Member

No doubt another screen capture proggy masquerading as an iTunes "converter". If it doesn't actually break the iTunes DRM and decrypt the file, then it's crap.

15. free377

free377 Member

I know--so are there any that can transfer it to a movie DVD file, remove the coding? Free?

16. free377

free377 Member

As usual, a Bu**sh** program that only does a minute before it asks you to BUY it--a scam--are there any FREE programs out there, like DVD Shrink, HD DVD FAb Decrypter, VObBlanker (all truly FREE), that will do the job completely without any bu**sh**??

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  17. free377

free377 Member

My WMP would not open the files, the mp4 files, so NO, that does NOT work--any other ideas?
    Nope, my WMP, new one, would not even recognize nor open the mp4 itunes video file--any other ideas?