1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting DUH avi files to play in a DVD

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by kiamaian, Mar 14, 2004.

1. kiamaian

kiamaian Guest

I have downloaded a 700 mb avi movie file which plays in my Windows Media Player. However, I would like to be able to watch the movie in the comfort of my lounge room using a DVD player and widescreen TV.

Previoulsy I have converted DVD files to VCD and these played through my DVD.

I tried converting the avi files to VCD format using the program Aare AVI to VCD DVD. The converted file doubled in size but I had great difficulty burning it to disc using Nero and when I played it in my DVD the image was poor and there was no sound.

Could any person give me a brief outline on what I need to do to make avi files playable on a DVD.

I would also like to be able to transfer the avi files to another computer. I have already tried burning the avi files to CD but the CDROM in the second computer could not read the CD and caused a computer lockup.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. rippman

rippman Member

first of all i dont actually no of a dvd player which can read avi files there prob some out there but prob rare so what u need to do is to download tmpgenc and use the wizard select vcd pal(for uk) ntsc(for america) click next then click next again then select what disck ur using then click next select ur output file tick the box which says start encoding imdiatley then click next and wait then use nero or a dvd authoring program to make the vcd!!!

3. thwndrwll

thwndrwll Member

the Kiss DP-1000 is a DVD player that plays .avi files burnt straight to disc as a data CD ... no need for messing around with VCD convertion ... you can pick one of these beauties up from Amazon.co.uk for about £100 .. I'm very happy with mine so far and it's played everything I've chucked at it (except it may not play avi files encoded with AC3 surround sound ... but mp3 audio is fine)

4. rippman

rippman Member

that dvd player sounds really good but ur shelling out for something that if wait about ten more minutes u can convert the file and put to rw disc vcd that means ur saving £60 or dollers what ever but its sounds good any way

5. kiamaian

kiamaian Guest