1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting DVD items to MPG

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by coyote64, Jan 25, 2005.

1. coyote64

coyote64 Member

Greetings,

I've slowly been learning my way around DVD authoring, but this time want to do something different and just have not found a thread that talks about it or a method of doing it.

I am interested in taking movie trailers that are on DVDs and ripping them and converting them into MPG files so they can be saved to a hard drive and double-clicked to view.

Can anyone recommend utilities to do this?

Thank you kindly, in advance,

Robert

2. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

Well, you can either rip just the movie trailers off the DVD and then convert it, OR you can rip the whole movie, convert it and then cut out just the trailer.
    Seeing as the converting is the slowest bit, we'll try the first process.

DVD Shrink is good at just grabbing the bit of the DVD you want, follow this guide: http://www.dvdshrink.info/reauthor_intermediate.php

Now you need to convert this 'DVD' on your harddrive to something you can 'double-click' view.

Try one of these guides, but use DVD Shrink as I stated above instead of SmartRipper as they say:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd2vcd_with_smart_dvd2avi_tmpgenc.cfm
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd2divx_anamorphic.cfm

Adder.

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

You don"t even need to Convert the Files because VOB files are Mpeg files, You can use DVD shrink to rip out certain VOB files from the DVD or if you want to Cut the Files on a Frame accurate Basis then use a Mpeg/Vob editor like "Womble Mpeg Video wizard 2003"...

4. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Minion,

I'm finding your posts educational, even if I don't always agree with you 100 percent.

Tell me what you mean by "frame accurate basis." I'm guessing that this is something that cannot be done with MPEG2CUT or VirtualDub?

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Mpeg files Must Be Cut on an I Frame which means you can not Make Accurate Cuts with Mpeg files unless you use a Frame Accurate Mpeg editor which if you cuz on a Non I frame then it re-encoded the Frame you cut it on to an I Frame so you can make precition Cuts without re-encodeing the whole File.....

Virtual-Dub doesn"t output Mpeg files so it can"t be used to edit Mpeg files unless you were going to output to AVI...Mpeg2Cut will Only Cut on an I Frame and it has a Little Bug were it doesn"t rebuild the Mpeg files Header which can give you problems with the File in some Programs....

Cheers

6. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Minion,

When you say VirtualDub doesn't work with mpeg, do you mean mpeg2? I use VirtualDubMod for those.

Thanks for the tip about MPEG2Cut. I haven't had any problems yet, but you never know.

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

Virtual-Dub will Accept Mpeg-1 files But not Output Mpeg files it can only convert the Mpeg-1 files to a AVI Format...There is a Version of V-Dub called V-Dub-Mpeg-2 which will Load Mpeg-2 files and even VOB files with AC3 audio but it will still not output to Mpeg format...V-Dub-Mod will not output Mpeg files either.....

8. coyote64

coyote64 Member

Thanks for the replys...While I understood some of what you folks are saying, I think I might have found what I am looking for.

Basically, I am going to sell off a bunch of DVDs I have on eBay and wanted to rip the trailers to have links in my auctions so people can click on the link to see the trailer and then know if they want the movie or not. So essentially, the end file I was looking for had to be something that could be shown using Windows media player or something.

As it turns out, I found that one of the tools that is part of Roxio's Easy Media Creator will take the VOB files I ripped using DVD Shrink and convert them to MPG format so they can be viewed with a standard browser.

The only thing I don't like is that I am stuck with only 3 quality levels with the two lower quality levels being either 6.5MB for a medium quality clip or 284k for a low quality clip - Was hoping for something in between those.

Thanks again for your help!

Coyote