1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting File Type

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by desa-_-, Mar 29, 2005.

1. desa-_-

desa-_- Member

Hi everyone. I am new to burning DVDs but I will start to burn a LOT of DVDs very soon. Anyways, I use Nero to burn my DVDs. I have made sure I have the latest version of Nero. So, I go to Nero Start Smart, click the DVD option, then to Make DVD-Video, and then I see the Make DVD-Video screen. So, I click add files, but it wants a certain type of file. Nero asks for "DVD-Video Files (*.bup, *.ifo, *.vob). The problem is all of my movies are in *.wmv format. I tried to find a converter with man's new best friend Google.com but everything I found didn't work. If you know any converters that are simple and gets the job done, tell me :)!

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you!

2. thugs121

thugs121 Regular member

Last edited: Mar 29, 2005
  3. Jetster

Jetster Regular member

Nero Vision Express will do it.

4. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

You must have somehow (altho' I can't figure out how) managed to click the wrong buttons. Here goes:
    At Nero StartSmart, click dvd, then 'make your own dvd video', then 'add video files'. A new window would appear for you to add the video files. And if you check the supported formats, you will find wmv but not bup, or ifo, or vob. *_*
    Yes, Nero works with wmvs. In case it says you don't have the necessary codecs, try download K-Lite Codec Pack (full or mega version) from here:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm

Good luck!

5. desa-_-

desa-_- Member

Lol guess I did. I will try both of your help advice ASAP.

Thank you!

6. desa-_-

desa-_- Member

Well, I downloaded that program and I am totally lost (these are the newbie forums :)). Also, when I oped Nero Start Smart, I go to:

DVD Tab > Favorites or Video & Photo > Make DVD-Video.

Then the Nero Express ROM window comes up and I am allowed to add files. But do I add the video to the "Video_TS" file? What do I put in the audio file?

I am lost :)

7. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Did you try the procedures I mentioned?

8. desa-_-

desa-_- Member

Yes I did. I got the program and I have no idea what to do with it. I tried clicking add file once I was in the Make-DVD window. I tried to add a .WMV file and it said "No Compatible File Found". I assume the program can help me with this but I have no idea what to do with it.

9. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

When you say 'that program', what are you referring to?
    Also, at the file adding window, click the downward pointing arrow at 'file type' to reveal all the supported file formats. You should see wmv.

10. Jetster

Jetster Regular member

When you open Nero Smart start look on the left. There are some drop down arrows. Look under apilications. Select Nero Vision Express. This is Nero's video encoder. Now I believe .wmv is actually a .avi file and need to be re encoded into .vob for burning. Click make DVD then add files. Edit menu ect.

11. desa-_-

desa-_- Member

I know realized what I was doing wrong. I clicked the DVD tab in Nero Express, not the CD tab. CD-Rs play on DVD players? If they do, my mistake. I thought only DVD discs play on DVD players.

Also, "that program" is the one you told me to download. K-Lite Codec Pack.

Ill try the CD tab this time, but I would never think you can burn a CD and play it on a DVD player.

12. Jetster

Jetster Regular member

VCD and SVCD are compliant formats on newer DVD players

13. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Ah, and after all this trouble... Fact is you may be using Nero Express, not Nero Vision Express. Try use Nero VISION Express with the procedures I mentioned.
    Also, if you're missing some codecs, just install the K-Lite Codec Pack. Your encoding and burning programs should be able to integrate with the codecs thus installed.
    Good luck!

14. desa-_-

desa-_- Member

Hehe I think I am using Nero Express =]. I shall try your Vision Express.

Thanks.