1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting from NTSC to PAL lowers frame rate?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by MheAd, Sep 6, 2004.

1. MheAd

MheAd Member

Hi!
    This is my first post around here ever, and I hope I'll get in touch with someone who can give me a piece of advice.

I have few standard VCD-compliant MPEG-1 files, containing some bootleg concert footage, that I want to burn as standard VCD. All of the files are encoded in NTSC format. Even though I live in Europe it doesn't really matter to me as both my TV and DVD-player support NTSC.

But a friend of mine would like to have a copy and his gear doesn't support NTSC, so I converted it to PAL instead, using the good old TMPGEnc.

I discovered few strange (?) things. I noticed that, once the video has been converted to PAL, that its frame rate is slightly lower (both when played on CD-ROM or stationary DVD-player). The video has NOT skips, or jumps, or any kind of video/audio synch error, but it just rather isn't equally smooth as the original NTSC one. This can be noticed especially during the points where there are longer camera movements or zoom in/outs. It's not THAT bad, but the difference is noticable. Now, I AM aware of the fact that the frame rate of a NTSC video is 29.97fps while PAL is 25fps, but I still figured that human eye wouldn't notice any difference. Or would it?

Since I never actaually converted NTSC>PAL, I'm wondering whether the visual symptoms are normal or maybe I should use another piece of software for converting?

Any kind of feedback is highly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!
    MheAd
    Stockholm, Sweden

2. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

the answer is yes, if you want to convert ntsc to pal you have to use another encoder not tmpgenc because tmpgenc doesnt convert ntsc to pal properly and vice versa.

i know that 'canopus procoder' is able to covert ntsc to pal properly and vice versa, but its a bit on the expensive side, there may be other less expensive encoders that are able to achieve this as well but im really not that sure, you might have to do a little research on the topic to find an encoder that best suits your budget if canopus procoder is out of reach.

goodluck...cheerz

3. MheAd

MheAd Member

Hi and thanks for your reply, mate!
    So if I understood clearly, the problem that I have is not 29.97>25fps issue, but rather the encoding program itself?

Anyway, I'll get my hands on a copy of 'Canopus Procoder' and see what happens then. Thanks a lot!
    M\

4. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

no problems m8, and yeah its a problem with tmpgenc and not your fault at all.

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well it is a 29.976fps to 25fps Issue because Most Encoders do not properly Convert Framerates....
    What encoders Like Tmpgenc do to convert 29.976fps to 25fps is they just Delete every 6th frame which makes it so in long Panning shots or High Motion scenes there can be a Slight Skipping effect....And when deleteing every 6th frame can seem that the audio doesn"t allways Sync Perfectly with video....

Like Mick said "Canopus Procoder" is the best of the encoders for Converting NTSC/Pal or if you have a High end Video editing program Like Vegas 5 or Premier then it is Probably just as good at converting NTSC/Pal....Cheers