1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting m2v to mpg

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by T3RR0R, Sep 27, 2006.

1. T3RR0R

T3RR0R Member

Would somebody please provide information on how to convert an m2v video file to mpeg. I'm asking and I may not even need to...in order to play an m2v file is all that is required is the proper codec? If so, which one is it? Where can I download it?

Thanks in advance!

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Alas, you cannot convert M2V to MPEG, because M2V = MPEG-2 video only part of a MPEG-2 movie, and MPEG = full movie (video + audio multiplexed).

Whay one usaually does is either:

1) cerating a MPEG

2) creating a M2V + a 'sound file' , in either AC3 or MP2 format [48 kHz sampling rate].

Ater that, one authors the DVD: stuff above into those files:
    - video_ts.bup;
    - video_ts.
    - video_ts.ifo;
    - video_01.bup;
    - video_01.ifo;
    - video_01_#.VOB, where # depends upon the movie's size. For a DVD5, usually one has file VOB files (video_01_1-5.vob), ince a VOB is never larger than 1 GB.

Usually one starts from an AVI. If it is so, one should:

1) exract the sound, first. If the audio is AC3, simply demux it. If the audio is MP3, decode it to WAV, then convert WAV --> AC3 48000 Hz, with FFMPEG GUI, requiding an AC3 bitrate depending from the MP3's bitrate (making a 192 kbps AC3 from a 128 kbps MP3 is a waste of DVD room). Put a bitrate similar than MP3's.

2) encode the video: AVI --> M2V, givine the encoder the movie's required bitrate which is given by a bitrate calculator (which needs two things: the movie's length and the birate of the DVD audio). I use DVTool, for this. Take care that the AC3 bitrate is either what you choosed (if you made MP3 --> WAV --> AC3) or the original's AC3 bitrate (which can be easily shown by VirtualDub[Mod] making File___File Information)

3) author AC3(or MP2) + M2V --> DVD files set. A very nice (and free) application to do it is IFOEdit.
    If the calculation made in the bitrate calculator are correct, authored(video+audio) = about 4489 MB of VOB files (=1 DVD5)

Finally, a PC capable to play DVDs (MPEG-2 files) sould be able to play M2V files. I don't know which is the codec, because Windows usually has it, on PC having a DVD-ROM unit. I suppose you can upgrade windows freely.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006