1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting .Mkv to .H264?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by Apex07, Sep 10, 2007.

1. fastmann

fastmann Member

Unfortunately, that doesn't support PureVideoHD either.

2. dcauthen

dcauthen Member

you will no longer need to convert to h.264. Here is a codec that lets you play your MKV files.

www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Advanced-Vista-Codec-Package-Download-55586.html

Its easy to use and Ive used it with media player, powerdvd and VLC. Check it out if you dont believe meeeeeeeeeeee.

3. fastmann

fastmann Member

Playing MKV files is not the problem. Playing them using PureVideo HD mpeg4 acceleration is the problem.

4. czerro1

czerro1 Member

I admit, I do not know to much about the mpeg-4 container and I did not think it could accept ac3 content. If it can accept ac3 files for audio input then the simple solution is demuxing the audio and video from the mastroka container and remuxing it into an mp4 container. This is the solution to the OP's question.

I really hate when you ask a question and instead of an answer all you get is someones opinion about the "best" way to recode the video. The OP is not asking about reencoding the video! He is not asking about software to decode and playback his video! The OP wants to extract the original content and put it into a container that powerDVD can read. The solution is here and in my earlier post.

Get off your high (open-source) whorses.

5. Tsunade5

Tsunade5 Member

I just downloaded Free Prism Video Converter, which so far seems to convert my mkv file to avi perfectly... audio/video is in sync, subtitles included, with good quality. This is NOT the full version, not a trial version, & contains no watermarks. Hope this might help:

Download free Prism Video Converter

6. sellinsid

sellinsid Member

Hi,
    Did you succeed to play mkv file with Power DVD?

Its pitty that we have hardware decoding in hour video cards GPU`s , but we cannot take advantage of it.

7. gloomglow

gloomglow Member

Why not use mkv2vob?

8. High500

High500 Member

Seems like a long winded approach to just use the avivo. I have HW avivo MKV playback on 3 different pcs for use in media player or media centre. To do this use graphedit to link the powerdvd h.264 decoder into your mkv graph and voila media centre/media player will now HW decode in your ati card gpu using avivo (as long as you enable it in powerdvd options first!), no need to use powerdvd itself, just have it installed!

9. siskoray

siskoray Member

Hey there Apex. Not sure if you're still reading this thread, but I did want to mention that even if Power DVD were able to play this file for you, you still wouldn't benefit from the card's decoding abilities. Those abilities are simply to "Decode" from the hardware which will as you mentioned, speed up the decoding process, but not the overall playability of the file. You need at least a P4 processor with a minimum speed of 3.14 Ghz just to get the file to play decently. This is due to the demands that a High Def file has on your overall system. A video card simply won't do all of this for you.

I say this with much experience in this particular matter, having played a high def AVI file in Power DVD only to be completely disappointed at my much wasted time when the playback was dismally pixelated.

When played on a new computer with a video card that has decode capabilities along with a Core 2 Duo, 3.16 Ghz processor. Even with this, a 1080p file will play funny unless I take all background apps offline.

Sorry. I really do think you'll need that new processor unfortunately.

10. FlankerB

FlankerB Member

I believe that WinDVD also supports ATI Avivo. BY THE WAY Power DVD also supports NVidia PureVideo and PureVideoHD, so does WinDVD.

11. FlankerB

FlankerB Member

To add one thing, use ConvertXtoDVD 3.2.1.55, set Enconding Target size to 7500MB or 8000MB, convert the MKV to DVD-format, burn To dual layer DVD (either directly with ConvertXtoDVD, or Nero, or Ashampoo Burning Studio). Ashampoo has the best burning results on cheaper burners, but you can't set DVD title. Nero can but you'll have to burn it at the lowest speed available. This way you'll get a DVD playable on any software DVD player, even on older PCs. Most standalone DVD players will play DVD made this way.
    PS. If you have an ordinary TFT monitor, HD is useless. But if you will use HD-ready or Full-HD TV, then HD video has a purpose.

12. Bubba1982

Bubba1982 Regular member

Damn, Prism is actually proving to be very useful and fast as hell. Just converted an mkv to avi during the time it took me to make 1 short and abusive phone call. Which was less than 10 mins. I have to say that I am very impressed

13. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

@ bubba
    you've replied to a thread that's two years old..lol..