1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting my home videos to Dvd, and i need some assistance..!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by demond21, Mar 15, 2005.

1. demond21

demond21 Member

Hi,
    I have Nero software and windows movie maker which i use to edit my movies then i export it as a AVI. file. Now after i do this i am not able to use Nero to burn it as a DVD. I have already made 2 dvds but i used a trial of tmpgenc to convert the Avi. to a different file(which i forgot now, but i believe it was mpeg2) and then burned them with tmpgenc. The trials has expired and now i do not know how to burn my movies, though i do believe i need a authoring tool( unless Nero is one, and if so how do i use it.)
    I appreciate any and all sugestions!

Thanks alot!

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Nero Vision Express 3 is a DVD authoring program -- It is part of Nero Ultra version 6 that you can download on a free trial from their website !

You should also get the tutorial for it there ! -- It is listed under Support -- Tutorials on Left Menu.

That should get you started ! Good Luck.

3. demond21

demond21 Member

I have nerovision 2, not 3 and it came with my dvd burner. I would rather not use a trial again because its going to take longer then 30 days to finish all of my projects. I want to be able to use the software i currently have and be able to edit my homevideos by putting effects, transitions, and chapters.(i do that with windows movie maker 2) and as i mentioned earlier export the movie as a AVI. file. (its almost 40gb is size). Now my questions are, how do i get my AVI. file and burn it with Nero, how do i go about authoring/converting the file inorder for it to work.?

What is essential to converting homevideo tapes to dvd?!

thank you!!

4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2005
  5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

@demond21

Sounds like you already figured out how to do all your editing and making your movie, and now all you want to do is convert your finished AVI's to be able to watch them on a normal DVD player.. If thats the case check out the guide at my website (link in signature) "Convert AVI to DVD" all the proggys used for that process are free :)
    Decrypter
    Shrink
    DivXtoDVD

Good luck I hope thats what you were looking for.. :)

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Also on another note you better have a big arse hard drive because if your AVI is 40gb the DVD files are going to more than likely be 3x that size ;-)

7. demond21

demond21 Member

haha yeah thanks... i have a 200 gb hd actually, though its only formatted for 127. Dunno why or how that is...!
    ill check out ur guide and see how that goes.

thanks

8. hawthorne

hawthorne Member

I have followd your guide completely and to no avail. when you get to the point in shrink after the divxtodvd, my shrink will not see the files created I have the video_ts file with the following inside:
    video_ts
    video_ts.bup
    vts_01_0
    vts_01_0.bup
    vts_01_1
    vts_01_2
    vts_01_3
    vts_01_4
    vts_01_5

shrink will not find any of these I have tried nero but it will not shrink it down to fit on a normal dvd. and then it gives me a lot of errors.
    I have tried going straight to dvd decrypter but it wont see the files either.

This is only a video capture from a video tape, it shouldn't be this hard. I have a lot of old vhs and would like to get to a single format.

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Are you clicking on re-author in Shrink and then browsing for the main movie in the little window on the right? Or are you clicking on Open Files?

10. hawthorne

hawthorne Member

re-author

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Thats odd that Shrink wont pick up the files. You could try using open files.

Or move the .BUP files out of there and try. All Shrink really needs are the .IFO's and .VOB's to open the movie up.

12. hawthorne

hawthorne Member

no luck with the open files, I have noticed however that when I used the divxtodvd the converted files did not receive an extention after the name. No IFO or VOB just the name. could this be a problem? Maybe I can rename the files with the appropriate extension. Any thoughts? What method would you recommend for video capture, any specific settings. I use Nero to capture through my ATI TV wonder card. Is there a better way?

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Your file probably have the exstensions you just need to set up your folder so you can see them go to <tools> <folder options> and make sure the <hide file extensions for known file types is un-checked
    [​IMG]

14. hawthorne

hawthorne Member

That fixed the no extentions problem, but I get this error when trying to open the folder with my converted file in it.

DVD shrink encountered an error and cannot continue.

Failed to open file C:\My docs\Videos\Composite (Mar05)\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_6.VOB
    The system cannot find the file specified.

Thats because it never existed. Why is it looking for this file?

Am I left with any options besides re capturing the video and possibly using a different method to do it?

15. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

The .IFO file must have a listing of the 6.VOB file. The .IFO acts as an index which is why Shrink is looking for the 6.VOB file is because the .IFO is saying it's supposed to be there.. You could try just copying the .VOB files into there own folder and then use Shrink in reauthor mode to open the .VOB's that should work assuming all .VOB's are there.

16. hawthorne

hawthorne Member

I think I will just start over cause this things not gonna cooperate. Thanks BB for your ideals. I guess this capture was not to be. I will try using mpeg2 format instead of avi format this time and see what happens.

17. hawthorne

hawthorne Member

Success. Even though nero capture would not work (might have to reinstall) ATI capture works fine. several files were missing from my first capture. suddenly popped up in second. No problems from there. divxed shrunk and burned. only several hundred more vhs to go. hope this format stays around for a long time before start all over again.

18. hawthorne

hawthorne Member

Update to previous post. After successfully burning captured video to disk, encountered problems while playing. Disk works in player but while playing the movie it skips ahead in movie. It gets grainy and then jumps to a later part. I checked the actual files on my HD to see if it was a problem there. It is not. The whole movie is in the files with no skips or problems. I thought that it might be a bad disk, although I have yet to come across one in the stack I am currently using. Burned again, same problem. So it wasn't a bad disk. What could possibly be causing this problem? I am using shrink to compress and burn this disk, with some of the quality enhancements on it comes out looking quite well, but maybe that's where the problem lies. Is there any known issues with turning on the sharpness or smothness features in shrink? Also using deep scan.

19. hawthorne

hawthorne Member

any thoughts?

20. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

How do the files that are all converted and ready for burning play from your hard drive? Do they skip when played from there?