1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting NTSC to Pal

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by leecopp, Sep 12, 2004.

1. leecopp

leecopp Member

hi, could some one tell me how i could convert a NTSC dvd to a PAL dvd. thanks for your help.

2. Jetster

Jetster Regular member

I don't know if it will work for you but I convert PAL to
    NTSC with Nero Vision Express. It prompts you right befor you burn.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

Amd 1200, ATI All in wonder 8500 DV
    383 133 ram
    80 GB HD
    Windows ME
    Memorex 8X DVD Dual format[/small]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2004
  3. ptwenty

ptwenty Guest

leecopp - I might be searching for the same kind of software as you.

I'm looking for something like DVD Shrink except I need to be able to put a NTSC dvd in (and let it do its thing) - and it'll output the PAL version to a folder.

Is there a tool that preserves the DVD structure and ONLY changes the videomode. It seems like a waste of time and quality to rip the DVD, then convert to PAL, and then have to re-author the DVD like a home made job.

Does anyone know of a tool that does a one-click videomode conversion??

Ptwenty

4. TowCutter

TowCutter Member

Hi lve done this
    l use shrink to rip it to a folder then use InterVideo DVDCopy it came with my burning soft ware
    look in your options and see if you can change it there ..... l know all my programes let me do it ...... but do remember ntsc bets faster then pal so by the end of your dvd the sound will be out from the video ......

5. ptwenty

ptwenty Guest

I hear you, TowCutter.

I was kinda hoping that the magic program I'm looking for will do the lot...

1. change video mode to PAL - including FPS adjust, and redo the resolution.

2. Resample the audio to correspond to 25fps and still sync towards the end of the movie.

There are plenty of tools available that'll do these conversions on their own, but not a one click tool to do all.

The only reason I want this is so my dad can watch the Region 1 NTSC DVDs he orders via the Net in his Philips DVD recorder which displays B&W picture for NTSC.

The easy option will be to buy a £30 cheapo DVD player that plays anything.

Ptwenty

6. meowmie

meowmie Member

New at this, but I thought Shrink stripped the region coding off the DVD when you ripped it?

or if you have a PS2 get a disk called DVDX(or something like that, from Game or some other game shop) It'll boot up your PS to play whatever region you tell it to.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
  7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

meowmie,

PAL and NTSC are actual picture formats and very different than region coding :)

8. ptwenty

ptwenty Guest

Yeah you're right - DVD Shrink is capable of making a region free copy.

Problem is that if the TV only supports PAL or if the player doesn't play NTSC disc then you usually end up with a black and white picture.

So regardless of the region, the videomode has to be accepted by the hardware you have .. which is why I'd be just as well buying a cheap player for him (my Dad).

Personally - if it was for me I'd just watch watch it on my PC - but he wants to watch it on a Phillips Standalone Recorder.

I don't think such a software exists.

Ptwenty

9. TowCutter

TowCutter Member

Just for fun go to kazaa and get your self Super DVD now rip your movie to your hard drive
    Then use super DVD and change it to a different formate...
    Now change it back using a DVD creating program and change it to Pal there ...... might seam like a lot of work but might be worth it ....
    Super DVD has been a blessing for me many times over .....
    l dont know if lve just been lucky how ever when lve been converting with super dvd its worked out how l hoped every time ..... Good luck

10. meowmie

meowmie Member

Are all region 1 movies NTSC? Or is this something I need to watch out for when buying?

11. ptwenty

ptwenty Guest

Emmm - I think they most probably are.

Region 1 is the USA - so I'm assuming that NTSC will be the standard format.....

Correct me if I'm wrong somebody - I ain't from the
    U S of A

ptwenty