1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting OGM to AVI

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rainonme, Oct 2, 2004.

1. rainonme

rainonme Guest

Okay, I just received a bunch of ogm files and I'd like to convert it to avi so I can convert it to dvd so I can burn it to watch it in my dvd player (ugh! that's a mouthful). I tried using the guide @ http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=222005&highlight=ogm but I can't even get past the first step!
    I have VirtualDubMod, I tried renaming the ogm file to an avi file, but when I open the file in virtualdubmod it gives me this message:

"Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'XVID'(unknown) VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable. Only 'Direct streamcopy is available for this video."

Any ideas how I can fix this? Better yet, is there an easier way to convert my ogm files to avi or even dvd? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks =)

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

3. DeDGuY

DeDGuY Member

what about
    http://www.ashampoo.com/frontend/products/php/product.php?idstring=0014&session_langid=2
    supposedly it is stand-alone and it handles ogg, ogm, and a ton of other extensions.
    I don't think it converts though... maybe this wasn't a good place to put this.
    I'm not sure if the only reason it is working the way it is is because of my other vorbis "plugins" though.(anyone wanna help me out on this?)

Edit-But thanks, I'm going to try your file too and see what works better.
    Edit2- Oh... mine is free

Last edited: Oct 2, 2004
  4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

DeDGuY ---

If you are looking for the same thing as that ashamppo player , better and free -- look at JetAudio !

http://www.jetaudio.com/products/jetaudio/

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper ![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2004
  5. DeDGuY

DeDGuY Member

uhhhh..... I downloaded it.. I can't even figure out how to play anything.
    The Shampoo thing plays my ogms and for my certain files I CAN pick between English and Japanese sound AND I can use English subtitles. I think it might be using my OggDS files along with the player to do everything that it is doing.
    For a different file I use(standalone)I can do english or japanese, but I CAN'T use ANY subtitles.
    If JetAudio IS a standalone OGM video, sound, and subtitle player, then I'd like to learn how to use it >.< Otherwise that is what I'm really looking for.

6. rainonme

rainonme Guest

Thanks Jeanc1, the program works well. Just some things I'm confused about, the ogm files that have are all dual audio (japanese/english) with subtitles (japanese/english of course). I tried converting just one of the files just to see what would happen and it worked quickly but in the finished file, how would I be able to access the different subtitles and audio? Also, the finished file was like 9 gig, why would it get soo big? I don't know if I was doing something wrong, but I followed the guide. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2004
  7. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

It all depends what you want to do with the file after you have it converted !

Usually the english sound is in either one of the channels -- japanese would be in the other.

As far as the size is concerned, again it's a matter of you shrink it after.