1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting old cassettes

Discussion in 'Audio' started by mphsbelle, Sep 22, 2007.

1. mphsbelle

mphsbelle Member

I want to convert some old pre-recorded cassette tapes (music) to cds. To rebuy in CD is not practical as some are not even available. I have audio (red & white) inputs in my computer and I have audio out ( red & white) on my cassette player. Will it be possible to connect those and use the audio capture to record to cd. I know the sound will not be perfect but some of this old music is simply not replaceble. If anyone can give my any guidance, I would appreciate it. Thanx Oh, I could use the audio out from the A/V receiver.

2. Phlax

Phlax Guest

Yes, I think that would work, but you can pick up audio booster type boxes for this purpose for about £30 or so which will up-convert the quality to .mp3 and result in better sounding files.

3. undine

undine Regular member

4. briansolo

briansolo Member

it's not difficult at all. but you shouldn't connect directly from the cassette deck to the computer. it's better to go through a stereo receiver. i've actually been doing the same thing lately, only with a phonograph.

nero's wave editor will record the audio for you into wave format, and then you can do with it what you wish!

5. deadlove

deadlove Guest

Why not plug a tape deck straight into the pc??? Only the same as any other line out source 600ohm 1v p-p

You need to use an amplifier of some kind for vinyl because of the different nature of the source, but no need at all for any tape out/line out type source. I plug my pioneer cassette deck direct into my pc. One less analog layer, one less noise maker.. though if your tapes are really old adding an graphic equalizer in the chain is an idea.