1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

converting PAL VHS to NTSC

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by Dudley316, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Dudley316

Dudley316 Member

I have one VHS tape in my collection that I can't watch because it is in PAL format. I don't have a PAL VCR, so I was wondering if there was any way to convert it on the computer. I'm guessing I can't do it without a PAL VCR, but if anybody has any ideas or knows of a way to convert it, I'd appreciate it.

2. Zeratul88

Zeratul88 Member

I am guessing that you live where NTSC is used? And so, you only have an NTSC capable VCR? If this is true, then your VCR is only capable of providing an NTSC signal as an output. PAL is recorded in a different resolution (simple explanation) and of course does not work correclty on an NTSC TV. You are stuck unless you do something.... if you live in the US, you could by a multi-system VCR (about $100 for cheapest) but you still have the problem of video output. The signal output, on a multi-system VCR purchased in the US will still be NTSC regardless of the tape. You could buy a universal VCR that will play any tape and output a PAL or NTSC signal. The cost of these are about $350 for cheapest... or a combination multi-system VCR with separate video converter, package about $320. As I see it, you have to have something to play the tape... a normal VCR will not work. Of course you could try yo find a place in your area that does video conversion... I think 1 tape would be about $25 and you could even have the output placed on DVD for another fee.... I personally use the multi-system VCR with video converter method and use my digital camcorder to convert the signal to digital. It made sense for my investment becasue I had about 35 PAL tapes to convert. Make sense?

3. Dudley316

Dudley316 Member

Thanks for the info. I kinda figured I wouldn't have any way to do this without buying a PAL VCR (or even a universal one). I did find a place online that will convert it for $14.95. Might be more after shipping, I'm not sure. So that's certainly cheap enough, I just wanted to get some feedback to see if there was something I could do myself that would be very inexpensive since ya never know if I might have more to do in the future. But for now, I'll probably just have somebody else convert it for me. Thanks again.