1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting protected WMV Files

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by DSMKilla, Aug 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sl33py

sl33py Regular member

Still Having A Hard Time Burning WMV
    Any Good News Yet?

2. cwalkin

cwalkin Member

I followed the link in this thread and was left more confused than ever.

Here is my situation. I downloaded .wmv files eons ago, licens is dead I'm sure, but I don't remember my password any damn way. But I'm runnin WMP9 on Windows 98. Is there ANY way I can remove drm and view/burn these files. If so, could someone make a guide for those of us that have no drm experience. Thank you in advance :)

3. cwalkin

cwalkin Member

I read that forum previously, and it is my understanding that you must have the password for that method to work. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

4. sl33py

sl33py Regular member

Yes, As Far As I Know...
    The password Is Requiered

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  5. cwalkin

cwalkin Member

Well I said, my problem is that I dowloaded these files some time ago, and lost the password. My membership to the site has expired so I can't request my password from them. So, I need a way without having the password.

6. sl33py

sl33py Regular member

So You Cant Play The Files Right?

If U Can Then Use A Screen Recorder Program
    Thats What i Would Do

*edit by herbsman* to remove signature , image was 125k ... everybody read forum rules if wanting to add an image to your sig

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  7. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

As far as I know there is nothing you can do if you don't have the password.

8. sinistrad

sinistrad Member

I was given a decent method for this from someone... I don't know if it will work yet, as I have yet to get all the software I need to do this, but... If you don't want to reformat your HDD just because you have the latest version of WMP, then get something like virtualPC and set up a Win98 machine inside of it, then import the DRMed files in and do your deDRM best on them. Hope that will help someone or at least spark some ideas.

9. wanttono

wanttono Member

Hi
    I ran into a problem.. I tried to play my drm video files and it turns out that the license expired with my membership.. that blows..so even with the user/pass I can't view them ..
    Frank

10. stevfuri

stevfuri Member

After a good bit of trial and error here are the best methods I've come up with.
    WMA or other protected AUDIO files:
    Make sure that whoever you get them from allows you to burn them to a cd. ...If you download files that you dont have the rights to burn even to one cd then your best bet is an audio capture program that captures all the audio comming out of your sound card (You could also connect a stand alone-real time cd writer to your audio out port on your computer. Do they even still make those?)...
    So simply burn the files onto an Audio CD (one that you could play in any standard stereo) and then rip them back onto the computer. I would recomend ripping them in something like Windows Media Player since I know for a fact it doesnt add any protection to ripped content.

For Video Files:
    You really have to be able to play the file otherwise theres not really anything anyone can do for you (untill someone flat out cracks DRM)
    Assuming you can play the file you can either use a screen capturing file to record it but it's reasonably difficult to find screen capture programs that will capture the video played from a video player like Windows Media Player, but that is one option.
    My prefered option is simply to attach my computer's output to some type of video recording device (VCR, DVD Burner, Tivo, Another Computer) and then record it. This seems to be the easiest and lest complicated method however it does require some additional equipment and will only record in real time.

11. surfman

surfman Guest

Okay I understand what you said about having to record the protected videos,This is a reasonable idea and sounds like it will work. But how do I do an outgoing line and what equipment will I need. Sorry, I am not familiar with this process.

12. stevfuri

stevfuri Member

The majority of laptops have built in S-Video outputs so you can hook that straight into basically anything you can connect to your TV (You'd need to run an S-Video cable from your computer to your VCR etc). Desktops are a bit more complicated but not much. If your trying to use something like a Tivo then you'd need to get it from a standard monitor output (VGA) to typical TV inputs (RCA) Fortunately it's easy and inexpensive to do. http://www.cablesnmor.com/vga-rca-cable.html sells one but thats just the first sight I found so I cant vouch for them.

13. samba09

samba09 Member

Hi,

Hey, i am using tunebite!
    www.tunebite.com can convert protected wmv and m4v

best regards, samba

14. surfman

surfman Guest

Thanks Samba. I will look into it.
    Rich

15. enHanSer

enHanSer Guest

Longer time ago I found out about Tunebite here, so just for your information check out it's latest features [removed]

It can do both video and audio, really nice for the "drm opressed" people :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2006
  16. petermus

petermus Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2006
  17. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

I noticed all the Tunebite supporters are "newbies". Could these be affiliates spamming the boards? Let's ask the mods.

When the old hats here can attest to whether or not a software really works, then you'll know whether it's worth buying or not.

18. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Enough of the ads for Tunebite. It's been pimped three times already and anymore posts recommending it will be considered advertising.

As far as I'm concerned Tunebite's a waste. From the testing I just did it does not crack WMV DRM and will only output to 320X240 which is worthless to me on a PC. Basically if you still have the key to the file and don't mind 320X240 resolution then go for it, otherwise save your money.

19. surfman

surfman Guest

Thanks to the moderator. I was looking into purchasing Tunebite. Thanks for the info. You just saved me from making a useless purchase.

20. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

What's sad is the site totally gives the impression that it cracks the DRM when it sure as hell doesn't. It's hard to recommend a company that finds it so easy to mislead customers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.