1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting Protected WMV to other format

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by CCEncoder, Aug 22, 2004.

1. CCEncoder

CCEncoder Regular member

Hi I have a wmv that needs to be authenticated every time I want to play it but the problem is more like an incovenience because it requires me to connect to the internet, so I want to know if there is a way to convert this file to mpg avi or other form without a huge increase in the file and reduction of quality.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well the Easy answer is "No"....

Here"s the Long answer....
    If this file Is Protected By DRM but you are Lisenced to watch the File there is a possibility you might be able to convert it to another format like AVI or Mpeg but with some Quality loss and a gain in File size because WMV is the Most Compressed format there is so any Compression to another Format will Result in Quality Loss...

But I suspect that you Will Not be able to Convert this File because any program that wants to decode the File will need authentication first and no converters I know of can access the Net for Authentication of WMV Files....

If you want to try to convert the File to AVI then look on google for a free program called "Stoik Video Converter" it is a Very fast WMV/AVI/Mpeg to AVI or WMV Converter....

Good luck