1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting Real Audio to MP3

Discussion in 'Audio' started by jeffslate, May 18, 2004.

1. jeffslate

jeffslate Member

Does anyone know where I can find a complete & free (or cracked) program to convert Real Audio files to MP3s or WAVs?

Thanks!

2. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

dbpoweramp can convert just about any format to whatever you like and yes it totally free, just make sure you download the real audio codec from the db site along with dbpoweramp music converter.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

cheerz

3. jeffslate

jeffslate Member

Thanks Mick. I'm off to their site...

4. pradee_sp

pradee_sp Guest

i want to convert real player files to mp3 please help me
    thanking you
    pradeep.

5. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

np jeff

[bold]pradee[/bold]
    you may have somehow not seen my last post, but you cant of missed that.

6. blco32

blco32 Member

Why not use Real Audio Converter to convert ra to wave. Works great and is fast.

7. djethan

djethan Member

Now, is there a Real Audio converter that can convert faster than the file plays?

DBPowerAmp does this... 4 hours of conversion for 4 hours of radio... Surely there's a better option?

Anyone know what it is?

8. blco32

blco32 Member

If you already have a real audio file downloaded then Real Audio Converter will convert it in less than 3 seconds. This is wrong as you'll see at the bottom of the page. It's streambox ripper that converts ra in about 3 seconds. My mistake.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2004
  9. djethan

djethan Member

Hey Blco. That works! Thanks!

But it locks up a lot and asks permission to write over the Temp file repeatedly during the batch process -- basically making the "batch" useless cause you have to hit enter every two or three files.

I'll pay for a good shareware program that does this (converts real audio to wav or MP3 in less than realtime), but am reluctant to pay for such buggy software.

Are there any other good programs for this?

10. blco32

blco32 Member

I don't understand the batch thing. I never have any problem converting "ra" files at all. What is this batch thing?

11. djethan

djethan Member

I mean that I have a bunch of radio shows I want to convert all at once. I can open them all at once in Real Audio Converter, and tell it to convert, and the idea is that it converts 20 files, one after another. These are long so it takes six or seven minutes to convert each one.

Problem is, it pops up a dialog every two or three files asking to overwrite the temp file it just made (sloppy programming), so you can't just leave it to convert a bunch. It will only do two or three before you have to go back and tell it to continue... not very useful.

We are talking about the same program, right? ACsoft Real Audio Converter? Just want to make sure... it's a very general name.

thanks for the help though! Even with this problem, it's the best thing I've found. I'm still on the lookout for something better...

-ethan

-ethan

12. blco32

blco32 Member

I don't know what I was thinking. I use streambox ripper to convert my real audio files. My fault. I guess I wasn't using my brain when I replied to your question. I use real audio converter to convert waves to ra to be able to send them through wemail. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm not familiar with using it for anything else.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2004
  13. IDOOO

IDOOO Member

Use Mini-stream Ripper to convert realaudio.
    its converting speed can reach 20X(maximum)compared with playing speed.

As streambox ripper cant support real10 and it is unvailable now, Mini-stream Ripper is becoming the best realaudio converter.

Download it from http://www.mini-stream.com/rm-to-mp3/

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  14. djethan

djethan Member

Hey IDOOO,
    Mini-Streamripper is perfect! Thanks so much... I knew the Afterdawn folks knew the answer to this.

Thanks BLCO too, you may have been talking about something completely different, but you managed to point me in the direction of some useful software anyway!

Word,
    Ethan

15. blco32

blco32 Member

I downloaded the mini streamripper. It didn't work for some reason. It supposedly converted my songs but the conversions were empty. They were there but was as if it did nothing. Is there a setting to set to make it work properly?

16. djethan

djethan Member

It worked for me, but only on the first half of each file. I think that's a limitation of the demo version.

Sometimes when you download a Real Audio stream (I use Streambox vcr), you get both a .RM and a .RAM file. Only one has audio data (the .RM file in my case). Make sure you're converting a file with data in it ie, larger than a few K. Also check the filesize of the output file.

There are also quality/conversion settings (although not as many as I'd like, strangely, considering the software is great in most respects). Try screwing with these... specify your input type specifically as Real Audio, and your output type specifically as WAV or MP3 and a specific bitrate. For some reason, these boxes are all checked by default which doesn't make much sense to me -- Do most people want to convert to WAV and MP3 and WMA all at once :) ?

good lucks,
    ethan

17. blco32

blco32 Member

Yeah, it only did a little bit of the song, so technically it's useless unless a person buys the full version. I don't buy anything. I search for a serial number or code, whatever a program needs and do it that way. No code for the mini ripper yet. Lol.

18. IDOOO

IDOOO Member

Hey djethan,
    Mini-stream Ripper's trial version worked good for me. I used it convert rmj files(its duration about 5 mins) to mp3, and there is no limitation. Which OS are you using? Maybe your rm files are too large. :)

19. blco32

blco32 Member

I made a mistake in one of my earlier replies. Streambox ripper converts ra to mp3 really quick and you don't have to listen to them while it's doing it. I said real audio converter but I believe that was wrong.

20. djethan

djethan Member

Hey all,
    I ended up buying Mini-stream ripper and it does it's thing wonderfully. No-frills, fast batch RM to MP3 conversion, which is what I was looking for. $25 is a little pricey for a utility that basically just serves one limited function for me, but I'm obsessed with This American Life ( http://www.thislife.org ) and $25 is a small price to be able to listen to hundreds of old episodes on my ipod.

I figure that I used trial and cracked versions of shareware enough as a teenager that, now that I have some money, I can give other broke-folks a free ride for a while :)

The last $25 program I bought that I can't live without is Helium 2 for mp3 tagging... nothing works better.