1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting .rm files (videos) to VCDs

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by BadBoy787, Jan 17, 2005.

1. BadBoy787

BadBoy787 Regular member

I have some .rm Dragonball Z episodes I wish to convert to VCD format (MPEG, etc...)...and I was wondering if anyone could give me any pointers/hints as to which program(s) I should use? I've honestly tried just about everything, in my opinion. Please don't recommend: TMGEnc, or TINRA. Or WinAvi...I just can't find anything good to use to convert these .rm files... :-( . TMGEnc left the converted file with no sound...and I don't know much about that dubbing crap either...

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

But if you manage to convert the .RM to .AVI, e.g. with TINRA, you also can extrect the sound VirtualDub and re-encode it to .MP2 with BeSweet that later, TMPGenc can use as Audio Input. Might this work?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  3. BadBoy787

BadBoy787 Regular member

Hmm...dunno, but thanks. I dunno much about that video dubbing thing-a-ma-bobber...

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

With TINRA converting RM --> AVI should be straightforward (install Xvid and choose its best settings: profile AS @ L5 , Target quantizer = 1.00 (best).
    After that, load the AVI with VirtualDubMod, choose Stream --> Stream List and click DEMUX do extract the sound.
    After that, convert the sound you just extracted by installing BeSweet and BeSweet GUI (you juat have to say to the GUI where BeSweet.exe is and to choose as profile 'MP2 for SVCD'). Then load the input file, choosing the extension of the file in the screen which comes after you click the 'folder' button to open the sound to convert (I dunno the extension that the audio 'bad' file can have), load it, clity on 'XXX to MP2' and encode it.
    Then re-start TMPGenc, choose your profile from the starting wizard (PAL/NTSC VCD is suggested) load the AVI as 'Video Input' and the MP2 as 'audio input'. Remember to choose 'motion search precision = very high quality' and 'video arrange method = full screen (keep aspect ratio)'.
    More, if you want to 'play' with movies you have to study a little. On http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/advanced_tmpgenc_guide.cfm and http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/advanced_tmpgenc_xpress_guide.cfm there are also good TMPGenc and TMPGenc XPress guides.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  5. BadBoy787

BadBoy787 Regular member

Hmm...I take it that...then, it isn't that hard of a thing to accomplish? I dunno still...seems a bit difficult, but, I'll give it a shot. Thanks very much for your assistance. If I have any more problems/complications/questions, I'll add more to this post.
    THANKS!

6. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

The problem is that movie converting is a hard thing (and movies are really non-standard).
    If you want to tackle with this issue, you must learn all the rules of the game...(hich is NOT simple at all!)

7. BadBoy787

BadBoy787 Regular member

Hmm...I think I understand the general process which you are talking about/explaining, but, can you explain a little bit more on how I'm supposed to install TINRA and the GUI (and...what I'm supposed to do with that GUI; What is the GUI supposed to be for; How am I supposed to make it work?). Thanks...and, is it wrong/against forums policies, for me to ask you which websites I can download all those things from (ie TINRA, the TINRA GUI)?
    Once again, thank you.

8. BadBoy787

BadBoy787 Regular member

And...um, how do I go about accomplishing that step about XVID; How do I install it and what not?
    THANKS!

9. BadBoy787

BadBoy787 Regular member

Like...am I supposed to be downloading a codec or what; How would I have to go about installing the codec, if so...

10. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  11. BadBoy787

BadBoy787 Regular member

After that stuff, what am I supposed to use the DivX Pro thingy+codec for? I mean, is that what I use to make a .avi file? If that is so, then, I suppose, it will be a little bit easier for me to make the VCDs...

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  12. BadBoy787

BadBoy787 Regular member

aldaco 12...any suggestions; anyone (do you have suggestions)?

13. BadBoy787

BadBoy787 Regular member

Hmm...I gues not :-( .

14. fordisand

fordisand Member

hi, I'm new to RealMedia files. I try to convert .rmv video to something else , dvd may be. Is .rmv an extension of the .rm family? I've seen somewhere here that a
    "rm vonverter" can work for .rm so can it work for rmv too?

I have done these:
    1) using Ulead Video Studio 7: it does not support rmv at all:
    2) using WinAvi : it said no audio (it does, I checked the file with AVIcodec) but I still continue with the convertion and which is still in progress..

thanks

15. BadBoy787

BadBoy787 Regular member

Hey aldaco12, I got it to work! Except, I kinda skipped some of your steps and what not, but I understand how to do it...it looks pretty decent on the TV actually. I only have one question/comment: When using TINRA to convert to AVI, which is the best thingy to select for "compressor"? The one I used was Cinepak Codec by Radius...is there a better quality choice, in your opinion, out of those compressors that are available under the tab?
    THANKS!

16. Veblin

Veblin Active member

EO-Video 30 day free trial
    http://www.eo-video.com/

RM to MPEG-1 VCD format and other MPEG and AVI formats.
    Converts many other types of video to MPEG and AVI formats.

17. BadBoy787

BadBoy787 Regular member

Nah, dunno about eo-video, I believe I tried it already (it was gonna take too f***in' long). Anyways aldaco12 (or anyone for that matter)...I don't understand now!!!! It wond (TMGEnc) won't let me convert .rm files anymore!? I remember quite clearly from yesterday that I'd directly converted a frickin' .rm file! WTF! Can anyone help?
    Thanks

18. BadBoy787

BadBoy787 Regular member

I just don't f***in' understand this s***; it worked yesterday, I know it (converting a .rm Dragonball Z episode to VCD format with TMPGEnc)! Oh well...I'm at school right now, but when I go home I'll have to try it again, or try something else. What I've been doing is:

I've been using TINRA to convert to the .rm file to a .avi file (I used the compressor: Cinepak codec by Radius), so that, I could then use VirtualDubMod with that .avi file to extract a .wav audio file (ps- there was nothing that said stream or whatever on VirtualDubMod...I just used "Save WAV as...". Then, as I recall, I went to TMPGEnc to load the .rm file as the video file, and that saved .wav file as the audio file, and then, as I recall, it converted well...and I, then, burned the VCD format file to a CDRW (I'm only using a CDRW, because I do not want to waste my CD-Rs) with NERO 6 (I think it's 6).

Can anyone help me with this problem? Anything I'm doing wrong? Was I dreaming; can .rm files be converted with TMPGEnc? Also, what is the best converter option to use on TINRA for converting a .rm file, if I plan to further convert that file to a VCD compatible file using TMPGEnc?
    THANKS!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  19. BadBoy787

BadBoy787 Regular member

...like...what about selecting DivX, or whatever, as the compressor of choice?

20. BadBoy787

BadBoy787 Regular member

Do I have to have some sort of codec installed with the TMPGEnc now?! I don't understand, I remember the .rm file opened up with TMPGEnc yesterday though. If it is a codec issue, then, how can/should I go about downloading, and installing it? Do I have to copy/paste it into some folder or something?
    THANKS!