1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CONVERTING TO BURN TO DVD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by jcarp21, Dec 21, 2008.

1. jcarp21

jcarp21 Member

i have movies i have downloaded that i want to burn to dvd and be able to watch them on dvd players...whats the proper format to convert them to and which software would be best? i have been searching for software and solutions and have gathered quite a few burners and converters... imgburn/nero 8/dvd shrink/dvd flick/convertXtoDVD/anyvideoconverter...
    problem is im not even sure what it is i should or shouldnt be doing??
    someone help..please

2. attar

attar Senior member

If you have a DivX certified, standalone DVD player, you can simply burn the AVI files as data to CD or DVD.

If the player only handles DVD movie format, then downloads can be converted with ConvertX or DVD Flick.

ConvertX (which is shareware) is faster than DVD flick, but DVD Flick has a better burner (it includes Imgburn).
    Both are updated regularly.

DVD shrink would normally be used after a movie DVD was ripped to the hard drive and had to be 'shrinked' to fit a standard DVD blank.

3. jcarp21

jcarp21 Member

SO I COULD USE CONVERTX AND THEN NERO ?? CONVERTX WILL CONVERT TO PROPER DVD FORMAT(WHICH BY THE WAY WHAT IS THE PROPER NAME FOR THE FORMAT??)
    OR SHALL I ASK WHAT ARE THE FORMATS THAT YOUR STANDALONE DVD PLAYERS SUPPORT?? I BURNT 2 OF THESE MOVIES ONTO DATA DISCS AND WATCHED THEM ON MY PS3 BUT SAME DISCS WONT PLAY IN MY DVD PLAYER...IM CONFUSED AND DONT FULLY UNDERSTAND..

thanks for the response attar much appreciated
    and i apologize for the caps i am not shouting my mistake

4. attar

attar Senior member

The standalone DVD player may also play DivX files that have been burned as data on a CD or DVD disk.
    The owners manual spells out the type of file that's playable.
    In addition, while most players accept DVD-R and DVD+R, some may only accept one or the other - again, that information is listed in the manual.

If the player cannot accept DivX files, they have to be converted to 'DVD Format' - the files have standard names and are inside standard folders on the DVD.
    Only an authoring program like Nero, ConvertX, DVD Flick etc can do this.

The authoring program must also be setup to produce files that can be accepted by your TV.
    In North America, 'NTSC' is the TV standard, while the EU and Australasia are 'PAL'.

5. spawn1980

spawn1980 Regular member

Personally i like convertXtoDVD 3 its simple and it gives you allot to work plus you can have all your movies in 5.1. I've tried nero, roxio, FAB, etc dvd shink is ok but it can't convert a pal to ntsc. just my 5 cents.

6. mikefar

mikefar Member

not to sure how to use convert x to dvd can anyone help

7. MysticE

MysticE Active member

8. Andeep

Andeep Member

as ive been downloading for the past month and have accumulated well over 100gigs of dvds, which are all .avi. i dont waste my time converting then burning etc. nero vision is my fav software to use. i can make cool menu screens if i'm burning a tv series, or i can chose not to make a menu if im just burning 1 file to dvd. if you just want to burn multiple .avi dvds to a dvd disk, i use nero express. you can usually fit 6 .avi dvds onto a 4.7gig dvd disk. when using nero vision, on the last page before clicking "burn", it will tell you the quality/rating of the dvd so you can choose wisely on what speed u may want to burn at.

9. Smokejump

Smokejump Member

Andeep...

what was the quality of the flicks after you burned six or seven of them to a single disc?

10. MysticE

MysticE Active member

His terminology is wrong and confusing. He didn't have '100gigs of dvds', he has movies (flicks) that are AVIs. Then again '.avi dvds' is also confusing and wrong. Downloaded DVDs will usually be about 4.3GB in size, ready to burn and be playable on any standalone player. They will have chapters and maybe a menu. Movies in AVI format will have neither and if burned to disc as DATA can only be played on Divx/Xvid capable players. The quality of Divx/Xvid files remains the same when played on Divx/Xvid capable players.

11. Smokejump

Smokejump Member

I already know all the information....

I have had a divx capable player since 2006 and I do prolly have 100 gibs of stuff if not more.

I was just curious as to the quality..

i prefer the quality of convert to fit disc over slap em all in.

12. MysticE

MysticE Active member

You've had a "divx capable player since 2006" and you still have no clue about the quality????? LOL

13. Smokejump

Smokejump Member

I know plenty about the quality..

I was trying to be sarcastic.. after you compress and convert say 3 flicks for STD dvd player usage.. the audio and video do begin to degrade and it is not pretty depending upon which codecs u are using. I had first hand experience with that after making some discs for my brother and my mother.

me.. I can just copy the straight files to a dvd and watch them on my unit.

14. N2DVD

N2DVD Regular member

I 2nd the preference for CONVERTX2DVD....the best divx avi file conversion software, I've seen. Add music menu's with custom pictures and music. Adjust aspect ratio with ease and this software works fast. This willl not be your experience with trial versions though. I own it and it's one of the best investments I've made. Convert's DVD files also. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009