1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting VCD files

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by monicaatk, Feb 26, 2005.

1. monicaatk

monicaatk Member

Hi there. I have a new Sony Handycam and before I realized that firewire was required to get videos off the camera onto my computer, I got some video off the camera in VCD format. I have since accidentally taped over some footage so all I have of the lost footage is the VCD files (on a CD and on my HDD).

How can I convert files with a .VCD extension to something I can then put onto a DVD?

I found an article on this site that looked promising(http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/vcd_to_dvd-r.cfm) and tried using TMPGEnc, but it doesn't support files with a .VCD extension.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The lost footage is of the birth of my son, born 4 weeks ago. Thanks!

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Get VCDGear. It will directly rip the .dat files on the VCD's into mpg.
    You can then edit if needed, in something like Cuttermaran, VideoReDo, or Womble, and author directly to DVD in DVDLab.
    Because VCD format is not exactly dvd spec, they may not play on all standalone players, but you can test one and see.
    You can fit about 5 VCD's on one DVDR.
    DVDLab will take care of transcoding audio for you automatically.
    I have a guide if you need it.
    http://www.videohelp.com/guides.php...=0&listallusers=&search=Search+or+List+Guides

3. monicaatk

monicaatk Member

Thanks for your help. I followed your suggestion and it looks like my dat file is empty. Oh well, I gave it my best shot. Thanks again for the response. Take care.