1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting VCR Video Tape Movies to DVD format

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by movierfun, May 10, 2007.

1. movierfun

movierfun Guest

Hello Folks
    I was wondering if you folks that know and check this site out more than myself might enlighten me on the best and easiest Video File
    Converting Software. I have some VCR tapes that I would like to convert that are not copy guarded for my own use and put them on DVD+R I have a burning program called Goya Multimedia but I do believe that I need the conversion software.As it is any tape file that I put on my Harddrive is put in as Composite.I need to know how to do the right steps I'm new at this. Mr. dummy needs help please.
    Hope you can help me out and a Big Thank You for any help you can give. Ken

2. attar

attar Senior member

You have saved the files to your hard disk?
    Can you click on them and play them?
    What is the filename extension?AVI, MPG?

If you download and run GSpot and drag one of the files on to it, you will see the type of file and be able to play it.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/GSpot270a.zip

[​IMG]

3. movierfun

movierfun Guest

Hello and Thanks for replying yes the files are on c drive, I can play them. I believe that it is mpg (3?) type .Man oh man I just can't believe how many file types there are.

Ken

4. movierfun

movierfun Guest

Oh one more thing this Gspot program is it only a player? Ken

5. attar

attar Senior member

GSpot will only tell you the type of file you are dealing with and if codecs are required.It is not a player;it is a utility program.

I Googled your software and if it was the correct one, then it sounds like the software you have is capable of importing the video file(s) and converting/burning them to DVD.
    I am not familiar with Goya Multimedia but I presume it has some sort of tutorial or guide to get you started.
    If your files are MPEG video then there should not be any problem using processing them.
    If you give it a shot but get nowhere I can suggest other free programs.

6. movierfun

movierfun Guest

Hi again
    Yes the Goya program will burn the files but not converting the files that it will use as far as I know.
    I would very much like to check out those other programs you mentioned please.Thank You so much for your help. Ken

7. attar

attar Senior member

Burning the files to DVD implies that it is converting them first.
    That aside, use GSpot to find out exactly the type of files you have.Drag the file to GSpot and report what it says the 'video' and 'Audio' boxes.
    Do you have Nero installed on your PC?

8. movierfun

movierfun Guest

No Nero but I do have Clone DVD2 but it only copies from DVD as far as I know could be wrong on that I'm not sure if it will do these files.I also have ATI TV Wonder USB 2.0 and of course the Goya Program.So I have the burning tool its just I guess it needs to know what type of file.You'd think on the program I taped that it would just say right out what type it is instead of just saying Composite. Thanks Ken