1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting VHS videos for the Web

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by euqinu1, Nov 12, 2002.

1. euqinu1

euqinu1 Guest

I'm a newbie; so, please keep your answers fairly simple.

1) I want to convert short VHS videos (3-5 minutes) to a format that can be downloaded from the Web. Which format (eg., MPEG) is the best as far as picture and sound quality, file size, etc.?

2) What do I need to convert them (hardware and software)? How do I find out which is the best equipment- is there a magazine or a Website that rates the equipment?

3) Without sacrificing quality or sync, how much disk space would a 5 minute video (with sound) use?

I have a Pentium II 400 Mhz computer, with Windows 98SE, 320 Megs of RAM, and 30 Gigs of disk space free.

I don't need anything that does special effects. I just need something that does a straight copy from VHS to PC to Web.

2. herb

herb Guest

You might need a video capture card with either rca (3 or 2) or s-video inputs.
    The card's software will determine the quality and size. Mpeg-1 (vcd) is usable and small. avi-Divx is better quality but not huge.
    5 minutes in mpeg-2 is less than 1 gig.
    5 minutes in avi-divx may be about 10 megs.

3. euqinu1

euqinu1 Guest

Thanks!
    Is there a place (Website or magazine) where they rate the video capture cards and software? I have read a lot about dropped frames, deterioration, incompatibility, etc. I want to be sure to buy a good product.