1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting vinyl to a digital format

Discussion in 'Audio' started by matinzen, Nov 26, 2004.

1. matinzen

matinzen Member

I used to use Plus! Analog Recorder to capture the audio but the highest I could save my files was 320 kb/s and I wanted more. So, I am now using Audacity to record the audio but there is a fair amount of fuzz, with Plus! I could clean this up a little but I am not sure what to do with Audacity. What I want to know is if I can clean this up and if so how. Thank you.

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

320kbps is the highest quality you can encode at. Try AAC or FLAC if you want better quality than that. I've never used Plus! or Audactiy, I use Pro Tools to rip my vinyl. Pro Tools expensive, especially with all the hardware and plugins, but a cheaper solution is using Adobe's Audition. You can easily acquire plugins that can drastically reduce hum, cracks, pops, and vibration noise for pretty cheap. I think it runs around $100. Also, the quality of overall sound really depends on the quality of your soundcard. Most basic to moderate cards don't have the best quality using the line-up. I would at LEAST use a SB Audigy, Audigy 2, or a Santa Cruz.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2004