1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting .VOB files to MPEG1 or MPEG2 ??

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by chrisamos, Aug 28, 2005.

1. IndioB

IndioB Member

I wouldn't say that I did a huge amount of filtering and effects in any of the projects that I finished. My first project had less than a minute of zoom effect on separately inserted clips, so 99% of the movie was joined together directly from the DVD. And if you watch the time counter, you can see a pretty even progress overall. Perhaps the very fact of muting the sound in the picture track, and then adding a separate sound-track is what requires a huge amount of computing power and a great deal of time.
    I'm very happy with using Womble currently: I downloaded it as a 30 day trial to convert VOB to MPEG2, but because the edit console is so user-friendly and because it lets you work directly on VOBs, I was getting instant editing results. But I do respect your advice and would be interested in trying out other edit programmes.
    Are Vegas Video and Premiere Pro downloadable from anywhere, free, expensive or what?

2. karlusc

karlusc Member

I've got a Sony mini dvd handycam and used four mini dvds while on holiday abroad. I downloaded all the vob files into my pc and edited them using Videoredo, ending up with 45 different vob files. Now I wish to join them and author them so that I can save them on a normal Dvd as one movie. I using using MPEGenc to author them, but the result was a dark movie? Can any body tell me, in a simple way, how I can go about it? Should I first convert from vob to mpeg because it seems that most authoring programmes do not handel vob files. Thanks for all your help.

3. lyberty

lyberty Member

4. rscu2273

rscu2273 Member

May be a stupid question but how do I create a single vob of a DVD with DVDDecrypter? and after so can dvdshrink still be used?
    Thanks for any help

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

To Rip a DVD as a single Big VOB file with DVD decryptor you Simply go into the settings and sel all the "File splitting" options to "none"...So go to "Tools" to "Settings" and under "File Mode" set the "File Splitting" to "None" and do the same under the "IFO Mode" and "ISO read mode" settings......

Now when you rip a DVD it will be as a single Vob file....

Cheers

PS: You can also edit Multiple VOB files together into One Big Mpeg-2 file useing something like "Womble Mpeg2VCR" or some other native Mpeg editor....

6. rscu2273

rscu2273 Member

Thanks alot that extra piece of info is going to help alot. This thread has been very educational and well put together. Thanks to minion for straight forward info.

7. wkieran

wkieran Guest

Hi everyone, I guess this will be taken off pretty quick but here goes!! I'm looking for a supplier of "DVD backups" on unreleased titles. Anyone interested in supplying me - please e-mail me at: banned "at" didn'treadtherules "dot" net. I will buy every week and will use paypal for payment.

Cheers!!

Kieran

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2005
  8. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Just to add to what Minion said about getting a single VOB, if you have more than 1 VTS on a DVD you'll still end up with multiple VOB files (ie 1 for VTS_01, 1 for VTS_2, etc,...) when you disable file splitting. If you're going to load the files into DVD Shrink there's no advantage to joining the VOBs this way. If you want a single VOB for each VTS out of Shrink you can go into its options to disable file splitting.

9. rscu2273

rscu2273 Member

Thanks for all the info. One problem, when I use either dvddecrpter or shrink and create a single vob of a movie then change into an mpeg2 the video ends up jumpy as if it is playing xnumber of frames then missing a few. Audio is good. In Mpeg Video Wizard by womble is there any special settings I am missing?
    Thanks again for all the help

10. rscu2273

rscu2273 Member

I forgot to mention that when I do the conversion it takes a couple of hours not minutes. I have 2.8ghz processor and 512 meg ddr. Should it take that long?
    Thanks and confused

11. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well if it is Takeing a couple of hours just to save a Vob file as a mpeg-2 file then it is Because Womble is For some reason re-Encodeing the Files when saveing them which it shouldn"t do unless you changed some of the Output Settings...

I just Tried useing Womble Mpeg2VCR to join 3 VOB files into one Mpeg-2 file and It dit it in about 3 minutes so maybe it is the way you are doing it, so maybe explain How you are doing what ever you are doing in womble....

Cheers

12. rscu2273

rscu2273 Member

Hi Minion
    I created a single vob ind dropped it into mpeg2vcr. Changed colour to 24 bit, saved in a file location I specified then selected save saved with mpeg audio. Was not sure if I could leave with the ac3 audio. currently converting 30% at 3 minutes. lots faster so far.
    should I change the audio encoding?
    Thanks for all your help

13. Minion

Minion Senior member

If the original VOB files have AC3 then you can save it with AC3...That is actually Probably why it is Takeing so long now because it has to re-encode the audio...It is best to leave all of those settings as they are cuz it is set up so if you don"t touch those settings then it will not change anything in the Files from the Original files.....

If you are going to be useing these Files in makeing a DVD then I would keep the audio as AC3 but if you are going to be Loading the saved file into another program for converting or editing I would save it as Mpeg-1 layer 2 audio as It is More Compatible with other Programs.....

Cheers

14. rscu2273

rscu2273 Member

me again worked great except the video appears to be jumpy. as if it is working at keeping up. Now I have only attempted this with the rundown using dvd shrink to create the vob as mentioned earlier.

15. Steve83

Steve83 Member

Is there any free software that will convert AC3 VOBs to MPEG1/2? I don't have much to do, so I don't think I can justify dropping $50-100 on Womble, as good as it sounds.

16. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well you could Just simply Demultiplex the VOB file into a M2V Video file and an AC3 audio file and then just multiplex them into a Mpeg-2 file...You could do all of this useing the "Mpeg tools" in "Tmpgenc Pluss".....

Cheers

17. vurbal

I'm going to add an entry about this into the FAQ, but until that's finished I'll sticky this thread.

18. tttbboy

tttbboy Member

Hi Everyone!

This thread has been very helpful and educational. I know i have a dumb situation here that many of you experts will laugh the hell out. If anyone could help me that would be superb.

I have a dvd file that i desperately need to convert into mpeg format. I have read the thread and did rip the file into a vob file. However, when i tried using a converter to convert into the mpeg format the quality drastically got worst (blocky) The system i have can only read mpeg and nothing else. How can i keep the quality or even close to the vob file would be great.

19. Minion

Minion Senior member

Like has allready been stated VOB files are basicly just mpeg-2 files with AC3 audio so doing what is stated above will make it into a proper Mpeg-2 file without affecting the Quality or File size....

If you Mean By saying that your DVD player only will play Mpeg files you mean VCD"s or SVCD"s then you can Find an easy to follow Guide in the "Guides" Section of this site but you are much better off makeing a DVD because there is a Drastic loss of Quality when converting to VCD/SVCD Format......

20. vurbal

Added this to the faq.