1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

converting xvid avi to divx avi

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by JJJ99, Dec 25, 2004.

1. JJJ99

JJJ99 Member

Hey how's it going,

I'm looking to convert an xvid encoded avi file to a divx encoded avi file? Is there any (somewhat) easy way of doing this.. I found some software called River Past Video Cleaner that states it can do it, but I don't want to put my faith into the hands of some software that will most likely not reproduce the same quality as the current avi file. My reasoning for the conversion is a DVD player I just got that plays divx 3.x/4.x/5.x files and most of the movies I have are encoded in xvid.

Thanks for any ideas

2. pcss

pcss Guest

VirtualDub and DRDivx will both do a good job of converting Xvid to Divx.

3. JJJ99

JJJ99 Member

hey thanks for the reply.. as it turns out, the phillips dvp-642 plays xvid files even though it only says divx. what a great dvd player..

4. pcss

pcss Guest

I have a dvp-642 also. Sometimes it has problems with xvid files. A lot of the time if the picture is a bit screwy with an xvid you can simply go into the system menu and exit and it will be fine. Sometimes you might come across an xvid with Qpel enabled and you will have to convert it to Divx5. There is a good thread on this forum on the DVP-642. Search for DVP-642 and you will find it.

5. buraku

buraku Member

if you are removing qpel, stick with xvid on the re-encode, becuase it is a far superior codec to divx, and free! just choose fast recompress and 2 passes in vdub and you should retain 90-95 % of your picture quality. if you convert to divx from xvid, it looks pretty bad.

6. pcss

pcss Guest

@baraku Thanks for the advice. Next time I get an XVid with QPel I will try that.

7. buraku

buraku Member

no prob pcss. i learned the hard way after doing my conversions from xvid to divx and throwing away the originals without looking at the re-encodes first. it sucked but i learned something in the process.