1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convertion with multiple audio problem, please help!

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by yerswtazn, Jan 24, 2007.

1. yerswtazn

yerswtazn Member

ok so i've got a season of simpsons that are in AVI format (divx) but the encoder had encoded multiple tracks into the files. there is the main audio track and there is the sub-audio which are the commentaries, there could be a second comentary because the files are extremely big for thier size. anyways, i work on both pc's and macs and my mac has duocore2 so i use it to transcode fileformat to dvd (VOB) format for big screen viewing.

since my mac uses quicktime components to transcode the video/audio my divxAVI files have no audio unless played through VLC or the OSX version of divx player. since i want to be able to encode on the mac i figured i'm going to have to convert the avi files to mpeg or something more native to OSX. (btw i've already tried to transcode an episode with nero on my PC, it seems to encode all three audio tracks playing at once on the dvd)

so now i'm using the avitompeg program from xilisoft to convert my avi files to mpeg. the problem is that when it converts and reencodes the file it merges all the audio tracks into one and the final mpeg file plays with all the tracks rambling at once.

my question is; how do i convert the avi file with my choice of audio? what program would you guys reccomend, and where are the setting in that program to do it?

remember that i need to convert the file (without losing video quality) to an OS-X native file, which means mpeg or a non-divx encoded AVI.

on the mac i've already tried to use streamline (or what ever it's called) to convert the video to DV but each file ended up being like 5gigs and the audio was merged again.

any help works thanks. programs reccomended can be for both pc and mac, it doesnt matter to me both of my riggs are pretty fast.

thanks everyone

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Try the trial of ConvertXtoDVD and see if each audio track shows up separately. If so you can deselect the one you don't want. The resultant quality is very good, I see no reason to go to the MAC, or I guess you could take the resultant VOBs to yor Mac.

You could also try VirtualDubMod. Load the file and go to Streams-> Stream List. If both tracks show up simply disable the one you don't want. You can now save as an uncompressed AVI... but you will end up with a huge file. Or set it to Direct Stream copy and keep it as Dvix. You could then convert it to an mpeg or VOB with SUPERĀ©.

I really think you should just stay with ConvertXtoDVD to do the whole job. Fancy encoders and procedures aren't going to make much of a difference with your Simpsons' source.

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=VirtualdubMOD

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/vdubmod-procedures.htm

3. yerswtazn

yerswtazn Member

thanks MysticE for your reply.

i got it figured out, i used virtualdub and went into streams and turned off all the other streams except the main one and saved the avi (stream based quality which kept the file size normal and didnt lose any video quality) and then used avitompeg and converted to an mpeg format that quicktime could read. thanks again MysticE and for anyone who read the thread.