1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ConvertXtoDVD keeps locking up my computer

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by XMayhemX, Jun 4, 2008.

1. XMayhemX

XMayhemX Regular member

ok, i've been doing some dvd video authoring with ConvertXtoDvd

I havent had any problems in the past..
    I was able to make the discs with ConvertXtoDVD, shrink them with DvdShrink, then burn them with NeroBRom

But now, all of a sudden, ConvertXtoDvd keeps freezing up, locking up my computer.. I cant even Ctrl-Alt-Delete out of it, i have to reboot the computer.

This is happening when i push convert, and usually a few minutes into the process. I should have enough memory, like i said, I've done like 15 converts with the software in the past 3 months with no problems. Now all of a sudden its locking up??? I dont get it.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. rayals

rayals Regular member

Please tell us what version of ConvertXtoDVD you are using. That would help. I use ConvertXtoDVD ALL the time. Not an Expert but maybe a Novice.

3. F4HAD

F4HAD Guest

i know why, turn off the preview function, your using version 3, its full of bugs, just turn off the preview, and have it at "normal" priority

4. XMayhemX

XMayhemX Regular member

Version 3.. but i do close the preview window.. every time...

it only locked up and froze up the computer 1 time..

the last 2 times of tried it it worked.. so not sure what the problem is/was

5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

enough HD space?

defrag the pc?

bad file if only once?

could be alot of things really...

6. F4HAD

F4HAD Guest

well, if it only happened once, please refrain from using the phrase "keeps locking up", if it happens again in the near future, then post here.
    Anyway, make sure you do regular updates on ConvetXToDVD, because version 3 is known to be extremely buggy at times

7. XMayhemX

XMayhemX Regular member

I used the phrase "keeps locking up" cuz thats exactly what it did.. i attempted this particular burn.. like 6 tries...
    that is more then once, thank you...

no need to be snarky...

8. XMayhemX

XMayhemX Regular member

yeah not sure really..
    I didnt defrag,
    I burnt the same exact files.. that i used on the attempts that didnt work..had a good amount of space, or else it wouldnt of let me begin the process kinda odd really..

9. XMayhemX

XMayhemX Regular member

when i said only happened once... this is the first, and only time its done it.. as in this particular convert attempt.. which i tried multiple times, with no success

10. F4HAD

F4HAD Guest

IMHO, the only solution is, update your convertxtodvd version, then report back here if you experience any problems

11. XMayhemX

XMayhemX Regular member

Well I was able to get the convert to work.. with my old version..
    (cant remember which version.. but not too old.. the second or 3rd most recent one)

The version that locked up on me on the try before.. if worked for some reason after a bunch of tries.. on that particular burn.

I downloaded and installed the most recent version tho, just for the heck of it..
    and it went from using like 100 mb's of memory(older version)
    to like 1.66 gb's!!! of memory(newest downloaded version)
    Also gave me error msgs galore when i tried to change the text in the text editor area for each file

omg.. i only have 384mb of memory.. .why did this one use up so much memory..

im gonna uninstall and reinstall the older version i had.
    Besides the 1 particular attempt that locked up a few times.. i had success with it otherwise.(with past converts ect.)

12. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hmm sounds bugged? please keep us updated on anything you find out...

13. XMayhemX

XMayhemX Regular member

ok this version uses up more memory and crashes more often.
    But i was able to finish 2 converts after many attempts.

And what a waste of time...
    it doesnt create completed video_ts folders, there is an error that makes a video_ts.vob file with a file size of 0 bytes in size. It creates all the files for each title/track except this one.

2 times in a row now. In the convertlog, there is 1 error msg with one of the files. I wil remove this 1 title and try again.

This error msg has nothing to do with the dozens of error msgs you get when you try to edit title text styles and thumbnails

14. XMayhemX

XMayhemX Regular member

When i said this version, i meant the absolute latest.. 3.1.1.25 or whatever. the most recent as of yesterday. Ever since i installed 3.1.1.24, things have been abnormal and much buggier... i have since tried 3.1.1.18 and then 3.1.1.25, i cant remember which version i originally had... Kinda sucks... i had less errors and bugs with the older version...

Thanks F4HAD who told me to update to newest version..
    That is usually sound advice.. but not for all programs, and def not in this case..

15. toaddub

toaddub Regular member

Why don't you start from fresh? Use CleanVSO to completely uninstall ConvertXToDVD and its settings. Reboot. Reinstall the latest beta 3.1.0.26. You will need to re-register your key and reset all your settings.

http://forums.vso-software.fr/tool-to-completely-uninstall-a-vso-software-product-t3918.html

If this still locks up, then something's wrong with your system. Could be overheating. When was the last time you clean the dust inside your PC? Also use CCleaner to empty all the temp and cache files and do a defrag to see if this helps.

btw, providing the recent conversion log always helps.

16. XMayhemX

XMayhemX Regular member

ok, i figured it out...

The original version i had, with the "least" amount of errors, was one with the old icon...

The icon was a Black box with a red X in it and it says Convert on the obttom of the box. Whichever is the latest version and has the old logo, is the one i need.

I have already tried
    # VSO ConvertXtoDVD v3.1.0.25
    # VSO ConvertXtoDVD v3.1.0.24
    # VSO ConvertXtoDVD v3.1.0.18
    I will try these now
    # VSO ConvertXtoDVD v3.0.0.13
    # VSO ConvertXtoDVD v3.0.0.9
    # VSO ConvertXtoDVD v3.0.0.8
    # VSO ConvertXtoDVD v3.0.0.7
    # VSO ConvertXtoDVD v3.0.0.1

Heres an error msg ive been recieving
    6/13/2008 3:40:26 PM error Exception raised in conversion Thread with message "Access violation at address 680C73A3 in module 'swscale.dll'. Read of address 00000060"
    I just recently downloaded version 2.99.9.500 and had less errors, combined with less functionality...but the same result, a comleted folder with a video_ts.vob with 0 bytes. I will try those 4 older version 3.*'s now

17. XMayhemX

XMayhemX Regular member

6/14/2008 5:20:35 PM info ********** Report session closed ***********
    6/14/2008 5:20:13 PM info Project "C:\filepath\projectname.XtoDVD" saved.
    6/14/2008 5:19:18 PM info --------------Encoding end--------------
    6/14/2008 5:14:52 PM info Conversion failed after 03:58:02
    6/14/2008 5:14:51 PM error Exception raised in conversion Thread with message "Access violation at address 650078B1 in module 'swscale.dll'. Read of address 00000060"

18. XMayhemX

XMayhemX Regular member

Anyone know what this error msg means? or how to fix it?

this is the tail end of 4 hour process or so... It comes up on the end..

Here is a minor error with one file.. not a big deal
    6/14/2008 4:24:34 PM warning No data in audio stream #4. Check source file.

19. XMayhemX

XMayhemX Regular member

I read on the net that an access violation error means the program isnt regustured..
    Well mine is.. i can post pics if you want..

ok the last try i did i got the same access violation error.
    but... instead of conversion failed,
    i got a conversion finished.. in the log

but.. the main video_ts.vob file is still 0 bytes in size.. Its like all my titles are made into vob's.. except the main menu isnt..

Is there anyway to use the titles that are finished vob's and make a new main menu? Anyway i can use these all the working vobs?

20. XMayhemX

XMayhemX Regular member

i opened the finished directory in VLC player

here is the msgs

access_file error: file C:\Documents and Settings\Courtney\My Documents\ConvertXtoDVD\title 1/VIDEO_TS/Muxer.Tmp is empty, aborting
    main error: no suitable access module for `C:\Documents and Settings\Courtney\My Documents\ConvertXtoDVD\title 1/VIDEO_TS/Muxer.Tmp'
    access_file error: file C:\Documents and Settings\Courtney\My Documents\ConvertXtoDVD\title 1/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB is empty, aborting
    main error: no suitable access module for `C:\Documents and Settings\Courtney\My Documents\ConvertXtoDVD\title 1/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB'