1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ConvertXtoDVD Subtitle Problem

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by xech, Jun 24, 2008.

1. xech

xech Member

Hi, i am trying to convert a mkv with a custom font subtitle (has 4 custom fonts) whenever i finish converting the mkv into a DVD, i use VLC and MPC to test it before i burn it. the subtitles is in Arial and pixelated. How do i use the custom font in my subtitles?

the subtitle file is .ass but i can convert it to .srt

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  2. CAGal

CAGal Regular member

still have the problem?

for the .ass files convertxtodvd will use/display the subtitles font and color as defined in the .ass file.

For the srt files you can use the subtitle style editor to define the style you want convertxtodvd to display you subtitles with.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  3. gwntd

gwntd Member

I have the same problem. I have MKV videos, that have .ass subtitles integrated with them. It's not hardsubbed.

Every time I burn with convertxtodvd, the subtitles font becomes the VSO default "Arial".

Im running convertxtodvd 3.3.0.96, is there a way to set the settings so that the program burns the original font from the videos?

And if there is no such function, can you recommend another program that can burn the video file to a dvd, with it's original font. Please and thank you

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  4. Hobbit72

Hobbit72 Member

HOw to adjust individual file subtitles.
    Ok,Once you have your mkv file added You need to click the plus symbol next to the "titleset" to exspand down your other options for that file. Now click and exspand the "file set" and then the "file #".
    If you did it right you should see "subtitle text style editor" below, click on the play icon next to it to open this setting.
    You have to do this for each file--Yes, a real pain in the ass when doing multible files.

5. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

Even doing that, there are some fonts out there that ConvertXtoDVD (or is that Windows in general) doesn't have initial support for. There's no way to keep the original font unless you're using a font that's supported by Windows/ConvertX (like Times New Roman).

The reason why .mkv files can show fonts that Windows systems normally can't (like Arabic or so) is because the person/group who compiled the .mkv file actually put the font into the .mkv and had the .ass subs written for that font (or fonts, if it's plural).

ConvertX can't fully handle complicated text subtitle streams like .ass and .ssa (which often have stuff like karaoke effects, fade in/out, etc.), which is why everything seems to convert back to such a simple Arial font. ConvertX is better if you use .srt or other simple text subtitles.

That said, there's also no way to get the subtitles the way you see them onto DVD without hardsubbing them into the video. They're just too complicated. DVD subtitles are essentially pictures; computer subtitles, being text, can be manipulated by programs that DVD players don't have.

If you want to hardsub them in, you can use VirtualDubMod to re-encode the video, then use ConvertX to re-author the DVD. If you want to keep the ability to toggle subtitles, you'll have to downgrade your .ass subtitles into something simpler, like .srt.

6. frbernard

frbernard Regular member

I can't access the subtitle option because I am unable to figure out how to include the menu in a multiple episodes dvd. It burns and converts the dvd from pal to ntsc just fine. It will even play the episodes, but I am unable to choose the episodes or turn on/off the subtitle option.