1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling for AMD Dualcore 3800+

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by grazis, Jan 28, 2007.

1. grazis

grazis Member

I have an AMD Dualcore 3800+ (clocked at 2000 on each) on an ASUS A8n-VM motherboard and an Nvidia 7900GT/OC. If I push it at all, especially on gaming and then some other tasks, like meb surfing, it heats up and closes down. I don't know how hot it gets, but after cooling it with compressed air, I will have a temp of 38C (read from the AIDA32 software off the motherboard). My fan came with the CPU.

How hot should it be? What is the best solution for cooling it? I have seen some things on Swift and Apogee. If I get a water cooling device, it should be one that will permit me to overclock the CPU.

2. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

3. grazis

grazis Member

I've certainly heard enough about Arctic Silver, so I'll get it. When I overclock the CPU, will I need more cooling?

4. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

If your system freezes up, you need extra cooling NOW.
    If you'd OC that thing, it might melt *well, not literally, but i take it you get the point*.
    Get that arctic silver, and get a proper fan, like a Zalman or something.

5. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

download this and leave it running so you can see what your temps are hitting then you can find out whats getting too hot.

i still think that you need to refit your hsf but it might just need to be cleaned.

6. grazis

grazis Member

You got me. What's an hsf? I have been using AIDA 32, but it looks like speedfan is more specific. How hot should this cpu be able to run?

7. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

If you can fit it in your case, also take a look at the Artic Freezer for the AMD's.
    It's a very cheap after market cooler which has very good heat dispersal, brings the temp right down.

Not the quietist though, but effective and cheap.