1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coollector, new FREEWARE for movie lovers

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by _Hector, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Hector

_Hector Member

"Coollector is an innovative FREEWARE that combines a personalized movies encyclopedia + a collection organizer + a best price finder, all inside a child's play to use interface"

Is it enough ? Can you suggest something better ?

2. hayden58

hayden58 Regular member

hector first off yoru program is incredible, secondly i was curious how often it will update the newer moveis that come out? right now i see that anything within the last 6 months or so isnt included.....

regardless i love yoru program, and cant wait to see how the masses love it.

3. _Hector

_Hector Member

Thank you very much hayden58 !

The very first update of the database is imminent. It's a huge update, with thousands of new movies and videos, a new database structure (in order to support TV series very soon after), data from CDuniverse.com AND Amazon.com, etc... etc...

There hasn't been any update before because I was improving other parts of the program. But right now, I work 100% on this update.

After this first update that was so long to come, we'll make much more regular updates, roughly one every week (while prices will still be updated daily).

4. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@_Hector

I also installed you program and was impressed with the database and search functions. There really isn't a folder or some place to keep my movies listed except in the right panel and all it does is underline the movie if you own it. But with 33,000+ movies to scroll thru it would be a complete program for me if there was a My coolection panel (Movies I own), that alternates with all the movies listed. That way one could scroll thru all one's movies at a glance and not all the 33,000 movies. Or maybe a function that eliminates all the "not underlined" movies at a button push and just leaves ones owned in the movie panel.

I'll keep and recommend the program just for the database. good job!

5. _Hector

_Hector Member

garmoon, it's already possible to display only the movies that you own !

The movie search panel has 3 tabs: string search, criterion search, and price search. You've already found the string search (the one that lists all the 33,000 movies... until you type some words to search). What you need is the criterion search. With the criterion search, you can filter the movies with any combination of criteria (e.g. "the movies that you own", or "the movies that you loaned", or much more complex searches like "all the excellent comedies from the thirties that you'd like to have").

You're not the only one who fails to find this feature. I've designed a way to make all this more obvious and easy, and when I'm finished with the database update, that's one of the first things I'll change.

Thank you very much for your support :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  6. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Excellent I'll try it now.

EDIT: I found it. But yes I would have never found it without your instructions. You need a tab up there to get to that panel. If you don't get the criterion indicated right it doesn't show the owned movies. But now that it's set you CAN toggle back and forth. You got a winner there.

7. _Hector

_Hector Member

Here is what I'm gonna change:

1) when you'll click the search button, you'll have those choices:

PERSONS
    .......String Search
    .......Criterion Search
    MOVIES
    .......String Search
    .......Criterion Search
    VIDEOS
    .......Price Search
    .......Barcode Search <= a lil bit later

(the "......." are supposed to be spaces, but this forum removes extra spaces, especially at the beginning of a line)

2) I'll also add predefined searches to the criterion search. With only one click, you'll be able to switch between the most common searches:

- display all rated movies
    - display all owned movies
    - display all loaned movies
    - display all wished movies
    - display all ordered movies

... and after closing the program, it will go back to the last search you've used.

8. CrampFish

CrampFish Member

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  9. i_am_alex

i_am_alex Regular member

10. _Hector

_Hector Member

I've been told about that. Previously on my award page, I linked to all the download sites that had given me an award. But some of those sites were red on SiteAdvisor, so my own site went red too. I have completely removed all those dubious links from my award page, and asked SiteAdvisor to scan my site again. That was several weeks ago, and you can see my comment on SiteAdvisor. I suppose now I can only be patient...

You can trust my program, it's completely clean. No viruses. No spywares.

It has been tested by all the major sites: download.com, sofpedia, tucows, etc...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  11. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Hi Hector,
    I don't know if you're still following this thread or not, but I must say you have a really nice program! Thanx for all your work!

As I was adding my titles to the database, I was thinking it would be nice if it had a function to scan the hard drive and match names of the movies found and add them automatically to "owned" library...That would be a time saver when you have to enter a couple of hundred titles!
    Probably thinking of too much though,I'll just take my time typing:)!
    Cheers!

12. jlg895

jlg895 Regular member

I was just going to add the same thing.

Is it possible to import a movie list with a .txt file

You could use it with directory printer.

Nice work though. Will recommend to others.

13. _Hector

_Hector Member

Hi cyprusrom and jlg895,

thank you very much for your very nice comments and your suggestion.

Though I'll probably add an import feature someday, it won't be immediately, rather in several months. There are other important features that I plan to add before this one. Sorry.

14. _Hector

_Hector Member

My roadmap looks like this:

1) grow the database of videos to a certain level of exhaustivity. I estimate I'll reach this level in 2 months.

2) allow inputing a video by its barcode (entered by hand or with a barcode scanner, and maybe later with a webcam).

3) automatically import a list of barcodes.

4) automatically import a list of titles only (no barcode).

5) scan a directory to generate a list of titles.

15. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Thanx, that sounds great!"Growing the database of videos to a certain level of exhaustivity" sounds good! I have quite a few Asian(HK/Japanese mainly) titles and couldn't find an entry.
    How about if the user would somehow be able to manually update the database- like enter a title that is not in the Collectors files and have the program import it from IMDB for example?

16. _Hector

_Hector Member

I don't want the program to become complicated. I have chosen a simpler solution.

Starting next month (somewhere in may), there will be a thread in my forum where users will be able to tell me what movies they are missing (just the title and the IMDb ID) and I'll add those movies in the following database update (updates being weekly). The IMDb ID is just for reference, to be sure we're talking about the same movie. I won't really scrap the IMDb data to add it to my database, because it's illegal to do that without a licence, and also because our goal is not to have a database as exhaustive as that. We'll never list 200 crew members for a movie. We'll probably never have goofs, quotes, and things like that.

You might be disappointed if you like the the depth of the IMDb data, but worry not, a little bit later we'll propose direct links inside the Coollector program: to imdb.com, allmovie.com, etc... (the same way we already link to tv.com for series episodes). There will also be links to trailers, reviews, etc..., etc...

17. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

That sounds actually very good!
    I wasn't thinking of adding all the "stuff" that IMDB gives you , just a way to enter titles that are not available. It seems that you already got that covered!
    Again, excellent work!

18. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Actually that's the main reason I stopped using the program because there was no way to enter the 1200 movies in to the data base. I wasn't about to do it manually. I have all my movies listed in a running Word table.

19. _Hector

_Hector Member

If I count right, that's already 3 persons who have a list of movies that they would like to import into Coollector.

I think it would take me only a few hours to whip up some rudimentary importer. It would be a little application, separate from Coollector, but it would do the job, and report which movies could not be added automatically.

Would you be interested ? Would you try it ?

If so, we could do that in a few days. Right now I'm too busy improving the way PicLens integrates with Coollector.

20. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

That sounds great! I will give it a try as soon is available.
    Thanx!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.