1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copied DVD looks Funny

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by busowner5, Oct 25, 2004.

1. busowner5

busowner5 Member

I’m VERY new at this and am hoping someone can tell me how to handle this…

Yesterday I burned my first DVD home-movie …
    It played fine in our Kenwood DVF-3080 DVD/VCD/CD Player…but looked a bit ‘funny’.
    What I mean by that is the color wasn’t quite right and the whole thing looked slightly grainy and a bit out of focus.
    I’m not sure if this is a settings issue or what…

Here’s how I’m doing it:
    I’m capturing the video from our Canon 8mm Camcorder…using ATI’s All-in-Wonder 9600 Graphics card.
    (On the card is a connection somewhat similar looking to a ‘S-Video’ type of deal…where you connect ATI’s cable, which allows you to connect Video & Audio leads from your Camcorder, VCR etc. )
    The software program I’m using to create the DVD movie with is InterVideo WinDVD Creator 2. (Came ‘bundled ‘with my ASUS motherboard)

Everything seemed to be working fine …the input feed was crystal clear in ATI’s Rage Theater Video capture Window…the audio sounded fine too.
    Each ‘Clip’ was saved as a ‘High-Quality’ MPEG.
    The software seemed to be working fine when I edited/authored the DVD movie, and I didn’t seem to have any problems when InterVideo ‘Burned’ the DVD either.

(Using a TDK AID+1280 Indi / 12x4x12x DVD+RW / 8x4x12x DVD-RW / 48x24x48x CD-RW / Dual / Burner…Media , RIDATA 4X DVD-R disc)

Being new at this, I’m pretty sure this is just a settings or User error type of issue. My system is brand new and has the memory, etc. to handle this sort of thing fine. (At least I think and hope so.)

ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe Motherboard
    Pentium 4 3.0 GHZ Chip
    2 gigs Corsair memory
    ATI All-In Wonder 9600 128 MB AGP 4X/8X Dual Graphics card
    Windows XP w/ service pack 2

Can anyone tell me the correct sequence and settings I should be using to do this right? Unfortunately InterVideo doesn’t help very much with this …their ‘Help Files’ leave a lot to be desired.
    Thanks a lot Folks…

2. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

How many hours of video? Remember, only 1 hour per DVD for best quality. Also, at what bitrate was the video captured at? High quality means what? If you can capture in AVI, it would be better since it's not as lossy, but it takes up alot of hard drive space. Get better video editing software! It'll let you control capture bitrates and DVD output quality better. You have a great capture card and fast PC, and since you don't have any freezing, it tells me they work fine. Just need to capture at a higher bitrate and output at a higher rate too.

3. busowner5

busowner5 Member

Thanks Dogbomb….
    I think my problems are coming from InterVideos software.

I'll try saving as an AVI ,as you suggest ...my 160 GB hard drive has plenty of capacity
    I ordered Sony’s Screenblast Movie Studio 3.0 recently and hope that will fix things.

Thanks again