1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coping Doom 3 and hardware used ?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by MackIII, Oct 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MackIII

MackIII Guest

Hi, I am new and have read and read and still not quite sure on what hardware to update to or if what I have now is good or not. This is what I have now:

1 CD Rom (Toshiba XM-6702B),Was a good reader
    2 CDRW (Cendyne LTR-40125S, Same as Lite-On
    3 DVD+/-RW, +/-R, CD (Sony DRU-500A)

I guess my question is 2 fold. Will any of this equipment work to copy Doom 3 and if not what needs to be upgraded and to what? I would like to solve this by just buying a dual layer DVD/CD burner since they are the newest units out there, but is there one unit out there that will burn, read, and, play the games (Both PC and PS2) with the new protections out now?

I guess just buying a CD burner is not, in my opinion, cost effective when I can get a DVD/CD burner
    in one. And I am not sure if these newer DVD/CD burners are good readers either.

Any help on this?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]MackIII[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2004
  2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Your Lite-On will have the best chance of backing it up.

Your best bet will be one of the Plextor DVD burners, the 708A or the 712A. They just announced a DL model but how well it backs up PC games remains to be seen.

They're very cost effective when you consider the wasted discs and frustration you have trying to back up games on a drive that can't do it. Your best bet will be the Plextor Premium followed by the Lite-On 52327S or the Asus 5232AS.

They do a good job.

3. pollushon

pollushon Regular member

Your Toshiba XM-6702B as a reader is actually your best bet, We have had 2 sucess story's with this drive, and use your Sony to burn, funnily enough only the toshi will probably be able to run the game. The way to know if it will work on disc with any drive or system is if your read errors start at block 994 and finish on block 10301. This is the CD Check range. If it starts at around 900 it will work only with emulation, if it starts down below at around 400 it wont work. I'll explain: Safedisc 3.20.022 has weak sectors (weak sectors supposedly prevent copying)from 0-994 from 900+ they gradually increase in amplification to 994. From 994 to 10301 they become straight up block errors which serve as a CD Check when running the game. A good 2 sheep EFM capable drive can read/write these weak sectors correctly, which normally is a good thing, but unfortunately all copy software will amplify these weak sectors, so the installed game will recognise this when the game is run, telling it it is an amplified copy. So in short these newer drives read to well for their own good. I guess protection makers know they have a better chance if they use EFM/ESM/TSM advancements to their advantage.(These are results of comprehensive experimentation and are not typical of every drive or system whether new or old)

4. Nephilim

Only if you set them to.

Why do you continue to recommend the DRU-5xx series for backing up PC games when they're known to not work on the newer protections? I know, I know, you can back up anything on the face of the planet with yours but I don't buy it and even if you have I think it's ridiculous to lead other people to believe they can do the same.

5. pollushon

pollushon Regular member

Whoa the flames are burning! I really dont care what you think, Ive only recommended what would give him the best result with what he has, and yea everything ive backedup (up to S/D 3.20.022 and Securom 5x) has worked with my measely Sony DRU 5xx, you got a problem with that? Get over it! Most people are quick to jump to conclusions about protections and what writer can and cant do it, without looking into why it doesnt work. I had no idea people were having so many problems, til a few months ago I jumped on a few forums and realised how lucky I was. If MackIII wants to go and get a current burner just for protections thats his perogative. I'm saying it may or may not work, and could be a waste of money.
    what at makin coffee? do you know and guarantee they will produce 1:1? You call yourself a moderator?

6. Nephilim

Flaming entails unwarranted name calling which I did not do. If you can't handle other people's opinions then you need to move on.

Take that tone with me or anyone else here again and you'll be moving on whether you want to or not.

I've done my fair share of backing up games with several different drives including my old Sony DRU-500A. The same methods and software that work beautifully for my Plex Premium and Plex 708A do not work with the DRU-500A. So I ask you, why is the Sony couldn't do it but the others could under the same conditions using all available options?

Go ahead and look through my 6,450 posts here and find one instance where I guranteed anyone anything.

Absolutely.

7. pollushon

pollushon Regular member

This is not an opinion, it is a sarcastic comment with a hint of an opinion, that practically calls me a liar. I apologise if I hurt your feelings, but the facts still remain, if you dont wanna believe it, thats your choice. Maybe someone else will glean something from it, isnt that what forums are for?
    What makes you think I havnt? And why would you think I'd come on this forum to talk crap and try to steer people in the wrong direction? Look I invite opinions, I like anyone else needs to be shown different concepts and ideas, I'm not some know it all, put you down, no no your doin it wrong kind of guy. When you call my suggestion ridiculous, you break the passive code of a moderator, but dont worry I dont offend easy, I'm ex army, you'd need a bullet to do that:)

8. Nephilim

I don't know what forums you've been hanging around but Mods here have opinions just like everyone else so get used to it.

And who's the one whining about sarcasm.

MackIII

If you need more help feel free to start a new thread. This one's going nowhere.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    Got Indie? http://cdbaby.com/

My Movies! http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rephaim

Forum rules! http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.