1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Coping Fingerprint of Old GPS SDHC Card to Bigger Card

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by AH1, Mar 11, 2016.

1. AH1

AH1 Member

Greetings,

I have a GPS where the maps are locked to the fingerprint of the original 4gb microSD card that came with the unit. I am trying to update my maps, but the newest update is 5gb, about 1.5 larger than the card will accept. Because the card is locked via some kind of DRM, I cannot simply copy the data to a larger SDHC card and move on.

Is there a way to change the digital fingerprint of the new larger SD card so that the GPS can actually use the updated maps? I'm going on a pretty long journey in April and I don't want to end up lost because my outdated maps haven't corrected for new construction and what not.

Thanks!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

have you tried contacting the gps manufacturer about your problem?

3. AH1

AH1 Member

Yup. They told me I can only use the card that came with the head unit. Very sneaky, releasing an update that is 5gbs when they ship their units with 4gb cards. It is a tactic designed to force an upgrade, but I just purchased the unit two years ago and it is an in-dash unit.

I know it is a CPRM issue. I'm hoping there is a way to transfer the CPRM authentication to a new card. I have already tried a direct partition copy and changing the serial number of the new card to no avail.