1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copy DVDs - help!!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by HelB, Mar 20, 2005.

1. HelB

HelB Member

Hi, I am trying to copy my first DVD and am encountering problems (and its beginning to drive me up the wall!). I'm very new to this stuff so please bear with me - my DVD writer is "ATAPI DVD DUAL 4xMax" and the blank DVDs I am trying to use are "8x 4.7GB DVD-R". I am receiving a message saying "please insert a blank disc" even when using a disc which I know has something on. Windows Media Player is only recognising CDs, not DVDs.
    Do I need to upgrade the firmware? If so, I am struggling to find where to get this from.
    Can anyone help please?

2. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Your question leaves...well.....questions.

What are you trying to do? Are you getting this message when backing up a dvd or are you getting it after you've backed one up and you're trying to play your movie? If so, Windows Media Player doesn't play dvds on its own. It needs the source code from actual dvd playing software.

Be more specific with what you're wanting to know and maybe we can help.

3. arniebear

arniebear Active member

If you are tryping to backup a dvd you must use the correct programs such as DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter both free programs and available from this forum look at software tab at top of page. Guides are available at the bbmayo site. Windows Media just is a player and only Windows Media 10 recognizes a DVD movie and does not burn or rip.

http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/index.html

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  4. HelB

HelB Member

I'm trying to burn a DVD video. I've already copied to hard disk and decrypted using DVD Decrypter, then processed the files using DVD2One. The problem is the actual burning via Nero because my DVD writer is not recognising a DVD in the drive. Does that make things clearer?

5. DVDeviant

DVDeviant Member

Did you switch from "CD" writing mode to "DVD" writing mode? Have you chosen "DVD Video" as the type of DVD you'd like to create? Is Nero recognizing your DVDRW drive? If you have a CDRW drive AND a DVDRW drive, Nero may be currently "looking" at the CDRW drive.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  6. oracle

oracle Member

Change DVD Disc brandt. Not all of them are recognized by the firmware! I hope that you are usinf DVD+R format and not DVD-R!!!

7. HelB

HelB Member

Yes, Nero is recognising the DVD drive. I get as far as Burn Compilation in DVD Video, then it says 'drive is not initialising - perhaps due to a defective disk' (I've tried several disks and it says the same thing).
    If I go into Explorer and check contents of the DVD-RW drive it says 'please insert a disk into drive D' so it won't even read a blank disk!