1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copy file function not working on XP...help?

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by tommyd13, Jun 25, 2009.

1. tommyd13

tommyd13 Regular member

I have windows XP media center edition 2002 SP3. Reading this:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/maintain/copytocd.mspx
    ,shouldn't I be able to copy a file to a cd? I put a cd in and the Windows box does not open as it should. Going to the D: drive brings up a box that says it's not accessible. Can someone explain why? Or better yet, how to fix this? I know I can use a different program, but I hate when things don't work as they should.
    THANKS!

2. d4rkn1ght

d4rkn1ght Member

3. varnull

varnull Guest

is it a burner ?????

4. tommyd13

tommyd13 Regular member

--I'll check out those links.

--The door of the drive says "compact disc rewritable", I've also tried my 2 external DVD writer drives. All do the same thing.

--OK, auto functions work, but I checked those settings and for a new driver. Everything is good there. I know autorun/play work because I put a disc in and it will start to play. It also begins to read the blank disc I'm inserting, but I cannot get the function to copy files to come up.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  5. d4rkn1ght

d4rkn1ght Member

Hey tommy

Hmm... I don't get what you mean by the "function to copy files".

This is the general procedure to write to a cd:

What part of the above procedure is missing?

Best Regards :D

6. killalot

killalot Active member

,shouldn't I be able to copy a file to a cd? I put a cd in and the Windows box does not open as it should

The windows auto box wont open automatic until you've selected it at least once and ticked the box to do this every time a disk is inserted.
    Put blank disk in drive open my computer,right click your burner and select properties and setup it up from there.

7. tommyd13

tommyd13 Regular member

@d4rkn1ght--I tried all the methods in link 2 above, and it's the same. I even changed the values I had to the ones listed, but they didn't work so I reverted back.
    When I insert a blank cd-rom and double-click, a window pops up and says :D: is not accessible. Incorrect function"

@Killalot--I tried that too. I put in a true audio cd, a burned cd, a program disc, a dvd movie.

It used to work, I don't know why it won't now. It starts to read, and spin up, then when you think the window is going to open to ask me what I'd like to do, it doesn't. Maybe I need to change the title to "autorun not working" ;)

BTW-I'm trying to get this working so I can store some files and programs on here before I go and attempt a full clean nd re-install. I want to wipe the whole computer and start from scratch with no added junk. That's my next thing to do/learn.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  8. d4rkn1ght

d4rkn1ght Member

9. tommyd13

tommyd13 Regular member

I can use the copy/burn function now by doing the "right-click" method. Didn't see the recording tab before. However, the auto play is still not working.

10. tommyd13

tommyd13 Regular member

still no luck with auto play feature....any other thoughts?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  11. killalot

killalot Active member

Put a cd-rw disc in the drive,open my documents highlight a folder,file,on the left hand pan do you have the option to burn the selected file?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  12. killalot

killalot Active member

Also open my computer,right click your cdrw burner select properties,select the recording tab,is there a tick in the option enable cd recording on this drive.

13. tommyd13

tommyd13 Regular member

Yep, that's how I got the copying ability to work, but I still do not have auto-play working. I wonder if I have a program setting blocking that function or something.