1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

copy guard error

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by lifeizgud, Feb 18, 2002.

1. lifeizgud

lifeizgud Guest

i'm using giga pocket that came with my sony. it's worked well so far to record vhs tapes. i have 2 home movies that when i try to record them, i get a message that says "smbe analog copy guard error" and the recording stops.

these are home movies, there is no copy protection.

anyone know how i can record these tapes? why is giga pocket thinking they are protected? i really want these movies copied, so i can put them on dvd.

thanks!

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Crap quality tapes, cables or VCR have lousy output every now and then and Macrovision copy protection is normally detected by unstable signal and loss of certain aspects in the incoming analog stream and sometimes TV cards tend to think that weak quality picture has Macrovision in it. Not much to do, unless you find Macrovision hack for your card which removes Macrovision blocking.

3. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

See if you can get hold of a Time Base Correction (TBC) unit. These little boxes clean/stablize the analog video signal and will probably allow you to copy the tape. My unit cost around USD$100 in Japan.