1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

copy of a copy

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ratdaddy, Jul 13, 2007.

1. ratdaddy

ratdaddy Member

Hi all. New here ? can you make a copy of a copy with dvd43 I have a movie that was a copy tried to make another from the copy computer dvd burner would not reconize as a dvd.

2. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

is it a dvd and not a cd? all you have to do to make a copy of a copy is put the copy in your dvd rom drive, and put the blank disk in your burner, and hit copy disk with your burning software, if you don't have two drives just put your copy in your drive, and copy the movie to a folder on your hard drive, after you do that put your blank disk in your burner, and find you movie that you put on your hard drive and burn the files to your blank disk, good luck

3. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

yeah you don't need dvd42

just use a disc copier like nero or roxio or use dvd decrypter ISO read ISO write and thats it

4. ratdaddy

ratdaddy Member

It is a dvd movie it will play in any of my home dvd players but not play in the dvd drive of my computer, oh the movie was copied on this copmuter drive

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

To make a copy of a copy?

It's called Re-ripping. Many things can factor in when you re-rip your own or other people's backup discs:

1)Format: Is the disc you ripped the same format as the disc you tried to make another copy of?

2) Media quality

Are you using the exact same batch of blank media from the 1st rip and the re-rip?

What brand name are you using for blank media,both the backup disc you re-ripped and the 2nd copy?

What format are you using?

What's the brand name,model #,and current firmware version of your dvd-rw drive?

What programs did you use on both the 1st rip and the re-ripped copy.

It plays on your stand alone player but not the pc ,using the same dvd-rw drive that burned it. Many things. Your dvd-rw drive doesn't recognize it's own backups,so it gives you a no disc error. Something about that copy that your dvd-rw drive doesn't like. Could be format,media quality.A lot of things that can give a drive a no disc error including the 2 I listed above:

3) Burned too fast.

4) Paper/sticker labels,just in case you slapped them on your backups.

5) Burn engine: Some drives can have harder times reading backups from certain burn programs.

6) Burner Quality: Maybe a firmware update is due. And there's some crappy drives out there,giving low compatable backups.Low compatable backups will have a harder time being recognized by any dvd drive.

Things to help when the need arises to re-rip a backup:

Make the 1st backup as best as you can so you can reduce the number of errors on them. All backups will have small errors. Too many errors or errors in the wrong spot and more issues can arrise.

1) Keep firmware updated. This controls the writing strategy.

2) Use quality media. Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim.Find the correct format that suits all your drives.Low quality media,more issues.

3) Sensible burn speed. Burn half the rated speed.Example: Verbatim 16x media,burn at 8x max.

4) If using quality media and a quality burner:some drives perform better with a faster speed than slow speed.

5) Use a disc scanning program like nero,kprobe,plextools,dvdinfopro,etc. Scan your discs and see what kind of PIF/PIF errors are on your backups.Burn according to how your scans look.

6) If you have a booktyping capable drive,use the plus format to booktype them to dvd-rom.This will help ease those no disc errors on a lot of drives.

7) No paper/sticker labels

8) No multitasking

9) Keep harddrive/s defragged

Post back the answers to my questions so we can help narrow it down.Should be an easy fix.

Neroinfotool should tell you the answer to most of those questions,in case you have it. If not try this free program:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvd_identifier.cfm

6. Shardel

Shardel Guest

I am not as knowledgeable as many here on AD. That being said, I
    thought I would mention how I have made copies of my backups.
    When I burn the original disc, 90%+ of the time I use AnyDVD, Shrink,
    and Imgburn. The rest of the time I use DVD FAB Decrypter, FixVTS,
    Shrink and Imgburn. When I go to back up a copy I open my burned
    disc in Shrink and back up to an ISO file. Then I burn with Imgburn.
    I have been able to change formats from - to + or the reverse or
    use RW discs. There has not been one single movie that I have been
    unable to do this with. Sometimes I change formats because someone
    wants to watch one on another TV while I watch the one I usually
    watch.
    So if you make copies of your backups very often I think those are
    very successful programs to use. I'm sure there are other methods,
    but I tend to stick with what works for me.

7. ratdaddy

ratdaddy Member

I think you solved the problem Paper Label and 1st copy on +R and recopy on -R Thanks for all your imput

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

The dreaded sticker labels.

Peel one off and give it a try.

You also switched format,so that can give certain drives no disc errors.

I've seen them all,even a certain MID coded media.

When you got backups playing all around the world and 100's of different dvd drives,the booktyping will give your backups a 95%+ chance of playing in any dvd drive.

9. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

Once you have made a copy its yours you can get any burn program to burn it, but only use Verbatim disc (unless you can find disc made in Japan I have never seen a blank disc made in Japan) so after a 100's of coasters I found out Verbatim disc was the only disc that would work and I know have burnt 1000's plus of great backups ! Yeaaa

10. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

I can't spell Siht (now not know) I quite