1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

copy pc software

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by noinsults, Oct 4, 2004.

1. noinsults

noinsults Member

please help, i copied a pc game, it copy fine, but when i put in the computer it doesnt play, however, all the file copied onto the cd... the original plays fine... can you tell me why this happened

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

What software did you use to back up the game? What settings?

Make/model burner?

What game? What protection does it use?

Did you look at any of our guides?

3. noinsults

noinsults Member

I have two burners, on is a sony dru510A (dvd+-r burner) and the other is a 48x cd/dvd rom.

I tried two different softwares, which I've always used to backup cd with no problems. They are Pinnacle cd/dvd and Recordnow Max.... I was trying to copy a blues clues pc software for my kid.... I do not know it had any copyrights and have never encountered this problems... please help, what software would resolve this problem.

4. Nephilim

Hmmmm, Blues Clues.

A-Ray Scanner can be used to find out the protection used, if any. If the game has more than one disc be sure to scan the disc that's used to play the game.

http://www.aray-software.com/

5. noinsults

noinsults Member

thanks for the link, this is all new to me.. I have not idea what the results mean.

Here is what it said:
    [20:41:40 PM] SecuROM 4.84.81.0019 detected -> D:\DATA\BluesCluesSchool.exe
    [20:41:50 PM] --- File(s) Scan Finished [9.73s] ---

6. Nephilim

Ok,

The results mean that your game uses a protection known as SecuROM as well as letting us know that it's version 4.84.xxx.

So your only burner is the Sony DRU-510A? If it is I'm sorry to say that you're probably not going to be able to make a working backup using that drive.

To back up protected games you need to use a burner that is able to write the protection back to the disc perfectly otherwise the backup won't work. Unfortunately only a select few burners are able to do this with the newer protections. If you want to make working copies of protected games let me know and I can recommend some good drives.

If don't want to buy a new drive but still want to protect the original disc you can use an app called Alcohol 120% to read an image of the game disc to your hard drive and then use an app called Daemon Tools to "mount" the image in a virtual drive and play it from your hard drive as if it were being played from an actual CD/DVD drive.

7. noinsults

noinsults Member

sorry for the misunderstanding, I have two writers, the dru510a and msi 48x24x48x16 drive, is the msi compatible?

also is there a guide to use the deamon tools

thanks for all your help

8. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

I just burned "CONTRA" with my Pioneer 107D and this was the protection this game had:

[22:12:06 PM] SecuROM 4.82.01.0002 detected -> D:\CC.EXE
    [22:12:39 PM] --- File(s) Scan Finished [48.96s] ---
    [22:12:43 PM] SecuROM detected -> D:\KCS_C_C [5E82C8DA]

This game burned fine with Alcohol 120% except it needs emulation to play, so maybe it will work with your burners with some type of emulation.

here is a guide for Daemon Tools,

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/daemonhelp.php

you can also use Alcohol 120% to play the game using a virtual drive.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    [bold]Only bad guys lie...So ask me no more qustions and I'll tell you no more lies.[/bold][/small]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2004
  9. Nephilim

I don't see MSI on any of the lists but that doesn't necessarily mean it won't work. Try using Nero Info Tool to see what it lists the drive as since it may have been made by another manufacturer.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/nero_info_tool.cfm

For backing up a SecuROM game I'd highly suggest using BlindWrite since it handles that protection much better than A120.

BlindWrite Tweaker is a great utility to use with BW for adjusting your settings for optimum performance. You can download it at the same site where you got A-Ray Scanner.

When you open Tweaker you should see the Basic Settings tab where you'll want the following settings:

Max Read Speed - 4X
    Write Speed CD - 4X

Everything else in this tab can be left at default.

Now for the Topology tab.

Topology Method - Slow (CD)
    Read Topology - Always Extract

Leave everything else default and don't worry about the Advanced tab. Once everything is set you can click the "Run BlindWrite" button and BW should launch ready to copy with your new settings :)

10. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

I forgot about Blindwrite, Ive been stuck answer questions about AL120% that I had a one track mind...

Im gonna try "CONTRA" with these settings.

Thanks -Nephilim-

11. pollushon

pollushon Regular member

Sorry but your incorrect. I have a DRU 510A and have non emulated backups of Doom Sims2 (S/D 3.20.022) Colin Mcrae 2004 (Securom 5x)and many other Securom 5x games. My preffered app is Alcohol. @ Noinsults, make an image using Securom 4x/5x datatype making sure RMPS is enabled and DPM is at 1x. (only takes 5 extra minutes) Then when running from disc make sure all your emulation and extra emulations are checked.

12. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

My "CONTRA" game failed miserably with BW5 and with BW5Tweaker, I stood here for 2 hours and 7 coasters using every method and solutions possible to get this simple game to run with Blindwrite5 v5.2.5.138 using Tweaker and just by its self.

No success with this protection of SecuROM 4.82.01.0002 with Blindwrite5
    Only with Alcohol 120% and emulation enabled.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    [bold]Only bad guys lie...So ask me no more qustions and I'll tell you no more lies.[/bold][/small]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2004
  13. Nephilim

14. Nephilim

@geestar

It may boil down to the fact that the 107 isn't a 2-sheep drive. The fact that the A120 copy needs emulation verifies this.

15. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

True! Very sad now :(

But it's ok... I will survive.

It won't matter now since im gonna have to use virtual drives from now on since my kids almost broke my trays on both my drives.

My sig picture represents how pissed I am.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

16. pollushon

pollushon Regular member

I myself do not need nor use RMPS, this is a failsafe recommendation. Maybe I will have to with later versions of Securom. As I have stated in other posts, the same burners do not always produce the same results.

17. Nephilim

Absolutely true although there are some fairly solid guidelines as to what will work and what won't. Getting a DRU-510A to burn a working 1:1 copy of the newer protections is definitely an exception :)

18. noinsults

noinsults Member

i download daemon, it gave me a virtual drive, what do i do next, i tried saving the game to it, but nothing happened, is there a step by step guide for novices like me?

19. Nephilim

What do you mean nothing happened?

20. geestar20

geestar20 Active member