1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

copy using DVD XCopy Platinum dvd to dvdr directly

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by 118529247, Mar 27, 2004.

1. 118529247

118529247 Member

Is it possible to copy directly DVD to DVDR using a DVD player and a DVD burner? If so, what am I doing wrong? I place the original in my player and a dvd+r in my burner. DVD XCOPY sees both and asks if I want to burn directly to the blank dvd+r media. I respond yes, and to my surprise, the video is still copied first to the hard drive and then to the dvd+r. Obviously, this takes twice the amount of time. Help! John

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi ya doin John,

Let's take something that’s familiar to us both. We'll keep it simple. We shouldn't forget DVD's are a bit more complicated, more files involved.

OK ? Ready?
    Right, so off we go -

We're going to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I want to have the sandwich on a plate in front of me. (Thinking about our DVD backup, we want all the original files on our blank DVD.)
    Good, right ?
    My ingredients are, Jelly in the icebox. Bread, Peanut butter in the larder and knife, in the kitchen drawer. (Our original DVD has IFO files, BUP files, VOB's and is encrypted and region coded.)
    Let's make the field even, encryption and region code can be removed on the fly SO we'll open the Icebox door, the knife drawer and the larder door.
    Right. Now I've got all my ingredients looking at each other, much as the files on the original are looking through your DVD player to the disc in your burner.

Now what, well I'm going to get my ingredients, line them up on a table and assemble them together into a sandwich and put it on my plate.

Let's see - looks like to me you'll need a place to assemble all the files from the original DVD in a nice order to prepare them to put on your blank DVD - What’s that you say ? You have a place to do that ? It's called a HD ? Kool, kind of like my table - a place to work -

So there ya go my friend, it's why it has to be burned to HD. Work needs to be done and like I can't have had my ingredients hover in the air while I tried to assemble my sandwich so there's no place in cyberspace to work on your DVD's files -

Anywho, John, Welcome to the Club,

Come on back iffin ya need some more help, OK ?

Seeee ya,

Pete

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM.
    340GB HD, 7200 (Maxtor 120, Western 200 & 20.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, HP DVD Writer 200j,
    Nec 4X DVD RW ND-1300A & AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP sp1.[/small]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2004
  3. 118529247

118529247 Member

Pete,
    You are creative!

Borrowing a little from your explanation: I guess I just thought it could be done with a smaller table, like PC memory, leaving the peanut butter on the DVD player shelf, doing the DVD XCOPY magic in memory, copying the reworked piece from memory to the bread residing on DVD+r burner, and going back and getting more from the jar on the DVD player shelf, until we are done.

Maybe my small table (512 MB) is just that, too small. Maybe the whole movie has to be placed on the table at one time. Some day, this will be possible and obviously, quicker.

Many thanks,
    John

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

John,

Your RAM and mine (1024MB) represents the energy to take the peanut butter and bread from the larder and jelly from the fridge (your files from the original DVD) to the table and the energy to put our things in order and then to move things to their final local. We still need a solid table :D)

Ya still needs de HD my friend !