1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copy VCD(Dat file) and make another copy of VCD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by struts, Sep 26, 2002.

1. struts

struts Member

I have a vcd and i need to copy that vcd and create a new vcd and play.
    I am really dummy in this and I realy appreciate if some one can help me how to do that?.I need information about what software i need and how to use where can i get it etc..
    I really thankful to you.

Thanks.
    Strutsguru.

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Well if your just copying a vcd, then why dont you use nero to make a direct copy of the cd????

If you need to do anything extra with the vcd, just ask me but be very specific!!

Hope I can help

3. struts

struts Member

Actually I have a DVD player and it can run VCD's and Copied VCD's.I have a movie in VCD format and i want to make a copy of it.

How can copy whole movie and play it in my DVD player.

Wher iI can get Nero software.What is the use of TempEnc.Thanks in advance for your detaild reply.As I said I am dummy and need top to bottom steps.

Thanks

4. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

OK, first, download Nero from this website in the software downloads, or download it from www.ahead.com . After that you simply load up the software and use the very simple wizard to make an exact replica of the VCD you already have. TMPGEnc is an MPEG encoder, perfect for making video and sound files into VCD compliant CDs (does a lot more as well, including SVCD, but later'...). By the way Afterdawners, now I will never be away, as my Nokia Comminicator is perfect for posting on Afterdawn forums, cool or what ? (Sad life or what!)
    :)
    Paul

5. loaded

OK, first, download Nero from this website in the software downloads, or download it from www.ahead.com . After that you simply load up the software and use the very simple wizard to make an exact replica of the VCD you already have. TMPGEnc is an MPEG encoder, perfect for making video and sound files into VCD compliant CDs (does a lot more as well, including SVCD, but later'...). By the way Afterdawners, now I will never be away, as my Nokia Comminicator is perfect for posting on Afterdawn forums, cool or what ? (Sad life or what!)
    :)
    Paul

6. Dela

I think I know now what you mean. Before I get into it, you can get nero from www.nero.com.

As i am sure you are already aware, the file in the MPEGAV folder on a Video-CD is the movie. If you copy this to your computer, It can be hard to get something to encode as whatever burned it may have changed it slightly.

I find mostly that if you open TMPGEnc and click file - MPEG Tools and click the merge and run tab, you should be able to add the vcd movie there. You can then save an output of it as any type of mpeg movie file you want. If you convert it to vcd again you can the nero wizard to burn it to a disk. If you dont see the nero wizard when you open it (if you see the "new compilation" window) click open wizard. Click other - next - Video-CD - next twice. Now you can drag your mpg file straight into the video-cd window. Click file - write cd to burn it then. but like i said it would be easier to copy it on the fly.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2002
  7. struts

struts Member

Dela,
    First of all thank you for explaining me step by step.Now I have TMPGEnc and followed your step.I got stuck at one point.I saw Merge & cut tab instead merge and run tab.Here i have selected my DAT file.Now I have selected MPEG-1 Video-CD type(Is it correct?).I gave a output file name and click run.But I got a error message saying that AVSEQ02.DAR file is not a MPEG file.Could you please tell me what I have to do from there?

Thanks.

8. Dela

Sorry, the merge and cut was right. I dunno what I was thinkin about.

It should have read your dat file as an mpg. Anyway, there are a few more things you can try. Open the file under the multiplex window and save as a MPEG-1 System (Automatic). Now try and open the file in merge and cut and if it opens save it as a MPEG-1 Video-CD.

Im still not 100% sure of what you want to do. The .dat file you have should play in any software dvd player anyway because its already in vcd format.

9. struts

struts Member

Dela,
    First of all I will tell you clearly wat I want.I got a VCD (Movie) from my friend and I want to make a copy of it.So that I can see that movie at any time in my DVD player.I hope you understood me.
    I am going to explain you step by step what I did.

1.I put that VCD in my CD writer and tried to copy into Hard disk.But it is not allowing me to copy.Giving message link DoS promt wont support this operation.
    2.Then I followed your steps to try in TMPGEnc.
    But it was not recognizing .DAT file.Erro saying this is not a Mpeg file.

So now I will try "multiplex window and save as a MPEG-1 System (Automatic)" this and let you know.
    Thanks.

10. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

try using the "CD Copy" option in Nero. it sounds to me like you have a working VCD, you therefore do not need to encode it with TMPGenc.. if you can't get the CD Copy working, let me know and I will do a step by step instruction for you when I am at home in front of my pc.

Good luck.

11. struts

struts Member

I tried as you said.After it copies 100% i was expected that Nero will ask me to put Empty CD.But after creating image it says cd can't be read or writable.

Thanks.

12. struts

struts Member

Dela,
    I tried your option too.No it is not recognisong my Dat file and expecting only Mpeg file.

Please help me I wasted lot of CD for now.

13. struts

struts Member

I have a Adaptec Cd creater.Can any one explain me how to make a copy of Original CD?.Will copied VCD play's in DVD player?.My DVD player is Apex.

Thanks.
    Sudhakar

14. VCDjunkie

15. loaded

Hey, Dela, soon if dRD is not careful we shall have to start calling this the Deladawn site! and VCDjunkie and Dela, thanks for helping Struts, I was away and :

Struts, sorry for not answering your personal mail, I have been away visiting relatives and although I had my trusty Nokia Communicator (which works with Afterdawn) I could not connect to aol scumbags to collect my mail, because my browser does not support Java!

Back at something that feels vaguely like a PC, actually, this will make you chuckle, it is a 16MB Pentium 75 (great for encoding MPEG files!) with a 540 GB Hard Drive. My parents (who work in a museum , no joke!) use this for sending and receiving emails, funny to think we thought this was state of the art not long ago......

Just imagine, in about 5 years we will be joking about my 2GHZ, 120x2 GB Hard Drive 1GB RAM PC as if it is a Sinclair C5. Those of you who don't know Sir Clive (perhaps our American cousins) I shall enlighten you. He redesigned the Motorcycle about 20 years ago and designed what I can only describe as a washing machine with wheels, with all the performance and handling that implies! Anyway, I am waaaaay off topic (Hey Captain Klingon, you are not the only one to wander aimlessly through thoughts) and probably making all you guys think of clicking the 'notification' tick to stop receiving messages about this post.

Later

Paul

PS and Struts, again sorry for not replying.

16. struts

struts Member

Hmmmmm

I never found a perfect answer for my simple question.

I am sorry..about this site.

17. VCDjunkie

hmmmmmm... how do I reply to this and have it not sound mean?

Struts, better luck next time.

Oh, to hell with it, I give up. I can't resist

Dude, first of all, you really shouldn't blame this site because we did try to help you. copying cd's is not exactly rocket science. You shouldn't blame your own shortcomings on the people who tried to help you, it really does make you look bad, not that your inability to copy a cd made you look good in the first place. Take your pathetic whining to another forum dedicated to listening to pathetic whining, or perhaps to a psychiatrist.

Sheesh, what is this world coming to?

18. A_Klingon

A_Klingon Moderator Staff Member

It's really so so so so easy.....

Even the most basic of burning software will let you do a direct, one-to-one Disc Copy. Easy CD Creator, Nero, Sony CDExtreme.....*anything*.

Just duplicate the disc. If the original disc is a vcd, you will wind up with another vcd !!! (If a music cd, then you'll get a music cd; if a data (program) disc, you'll get a data disc.

If you want to play with the (new) vcd's structure, you can also run the (original)vcd's ".dat" file(s) through a neat little program found in the software section here (VCDGear) to create a now-burnable mpeg-1 vcd-compatible movie file, which can then be authored (burned) as a new vcd. (But this is probably a bit much...it's not necessary although it works fine).

Just do a direct Disc Copy.

-- Mike --

19. Dela

Thats exactly waht I said, just use nero to make a direct copy but when I kept hearing about dat files and encoding processes I got lost!!

20. loaded

Well, I came back from Wales (an interesting little country just West of England, with a proliferation of Ruminants) and found an interesting little sage on my PC. After having given up on the Nokia Communicator (no Java, no way!) and my parents (steam powered) 'PC' I got back to my trusty Sony (don't throw tomatoes) and found Struts frustrated post and my fellow Afterdawners outbursts. Give the guy a break, for he knows not what he does (literally). I know we tried to help, but apparently the dissemination of pertinent information is no longer classified as help. In future I suggest we have a dorkometer (dRD, this is your responsibility) which automatically cuts off users with this kind of tendency.

If, however, this gets installed, i wonder if I will be able to continue using this site.

Hmmmmmmmm.

(Not trying to steal your words Struts)

Paul.

PS, if you want to copy your CD, I believe you have three explantions above. Please read them carefully, for the words can be complicated.

PPS Dela, stop posting, I used to like you, but you keeo on being top scribbler! ;-)