1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copy VCD(Dat file) and make another copy of VCD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by struts, Sep 26, 2002.

1. struts

struts Member

HURREEEEEEEEEEE

I DID IT.At last with all your kind help I was able to copy VCD to VCD by using nero.

But some movies it says CD does not have enough space(I am using 700MB/80min CD's).Probobly movie is more than 80 min.I am not sure about that.

For this type of VCD's I copied in to hard disk by using nero.Then used TMPGEnc for ripping and made 3 mpeg files(MPEG-1 video CD) then created 3 VCD's.Thats it.Those are successfully running in my DVD player.

Thank you for your all kind reply's.I know some of the guy's repplied very patiently.

Si after all I would like to close this thread.But can I ask you one question?.:)

How to improve the quality of copied vcd's?.
    Thanks.

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

When using TMPGEnc, did you have it set to highest quality. However, that wont make a huge difference. If you want the best quality then you will need to pay for some of your software and the plus versions. TMPGEnc plus is excellent.

3. qurious

qurious Member

I've just noticed that Nero also converts DAT file when creating VCD from DAT file!

I just drag the DAT file into MPEGAV directory, Nero check the file and ... the new DAT file size is smaller that the original one (about 70 Mb)!
    What happen ??
    Nero do re-compress ?
    Or converting from NTSC to PAL maybe ?
    Or else ??

4. Dela

The movies are changed when they are being burned. They dont work as they used to! Thats why they show up the wrong size!

5. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

someone kill this thread please .........

6. Dela

I hear you wonderboy, I hear you lol

7. struts

struts Member

How to Kill this...Thread.lol:)

8. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

we should hang it ,humm or maybe shoot it ,ok how about we burn it on a cd in vcd format...lol

9. abrogard

abrogard Regular member

How about you use it to tell me what's happening when I get right to the end of copying a .dat file from a vcd onto my hard drive and suddenly get a DOS error message "cannot copy file invalid dos command" or something much like that?
    Can't drag and drop copy in windows, can't dos copy with copy or xcopy, with or without binary switches....
    It usually happens right at the end of the process and when it stops it keeps nothing on disk at all.
    Is there some way to copy incompletely - i.e. keep as much of the dat file as you can - and is there something that will read an incomplete file?
    All part of his original question, really....

10. Dela

I dunno if you want to copy the file just onto the hard drive and watch the movie from your computer or do you want to copy the vcd to another disk. If so, do u have 2 cd drives? If you do, then just make a direct copy from one disk to another. If you dont, use clone cd to copy the disk to the computer and then burn it to your cd.

You said that you get that message at the end of the file copy. This could indicate that this cd was an unsuccessfully overburned disk and it cant read the last part of the file. It could also be just a scratch on the cd as that would stall the copying process to!

11. abrogard

abrogard Regular member

Nope... I just want to copy to the disk at this stage. I only have one cd drive anyway.

My question is about copying the .dat file. That's all. To the hard drive.

I think maybe cloning software might be the way to go.

And I think this 'overburned cd' idea might be the cause of the problem alright. Most of these vcd's are chinese copies of the original. That's all you can buy in these parts.

In the main I'm curious about that fact that 99 % of it gets copied and then it gives up!! Why can't we keep and use the 99% ?

I'm intending to try out cloning software to try fix it myself... I tried ghost but it won't copy cd's... and I tried something else and it wouldn't either... and there was something else that would do it but would make an ISO of the whole disk... I would still need to copy the file out from the ISO, then... no better off..

At the moment I just get along without copying those vcd's. Watch that movie tonight... copy the other one or two and watch them in a day or two on the computer... no great hassle.. but an interesting question to me... why can't I use the 99%? why does it give up? what is the invalid DOS function? How can I find out?

I think I heard of some software somewhere that would tell you every dos function called by an .exe file...

Or I suppose you could dissassemble the code for the DOS 'copy' command and see which functions it calls....

I thought... you see... that a DOS copy with the 'binary' switch (/b) would copy anything...

Because that's what a binary copy is supposed to be.... doesn't stop for anything until it gets an 'eof'... but maybe that's it... it doesn't get an eof but it runs out of something to copy?

12. Dela

You might be able to get that 99% or so of the movie easy enough using TMPGEnc.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/tmpgenc.cfm

when you have it downloaded and all put in one folder, open tmpgenc. Close the wizard that comes up and click file - mpeg tools. Click the merge and cut tab. Clcik the add button. When the file browser comes up, first change the "files of type" box to "all files". Now open your cd drive. Open the folder MPEGAV and double click the .dat file in it.

Now you should see it added to the list. Select it and click edit. You will see a slider under where the movie is displayed. Drag it acroos almost to the end but remember the end of the file may be damaged so cut out the credits or something. When you have slided to where you want the movie to play to click the "}" button. Then click ok. Click the browse button beside the output box and browse to a foler you will put the file. Type any file name and press open. Then click Run. In a few minutes the total area that you selected with the slider will be copied to the file you specified!

13. abrogard

abrogard Regular member

O.K... thankyou for that. I will try it out. I have seen mention of this programme before on this thread... it sounds like it is tailor made for me.... sort of thing that suits your specs so exactly you'd even pay for it....

I guess all those 'file cut' progs that will take a portion of the file will do the copy task... why I didn't think of that before must be due to my general lack of nous...

But I guess (here's an excuse) I was thinking mpeg is a kind of encryption and if the whole file is not there it cannot be decrypted, like a .zip file... I let this thought stop me even trying...

But there's many an encryption (most, probably, eh?) that doesn't require the whole file.. just works on each byte it finds...

I talk too much... thanks.. I'll download it and try it....

regards... abrogard

14. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

Somebody PLEASE close this damned thread already.

15. abrogard

abrogard Regular member

Posting questions and replies does no harm, surely - that's what the forum is for.

So I guess what you find irritating is the posting of mere comments that give rise to a letter in your inbox and make you visit the thread to read nothing but a comment... ?

But that is what your post was ! :)

The thread IS sort of 'closed' while ever no one is posting to it. You opened it.

The easiest way to 'close' the thread is uncheck the 'email notification' box, I think..

regards... abrogard (that last question was mine and I was grateful to get an answer).

16. Dela

LOL VCD calm mate. If you look at the "thread has been updated" email there is a little "unsubscribe from this thread" link that is handy for situations such as this!

17. VCDjunkie

I know how to make the email notifications go away.. I just think this thread has been dead for a very long time and is not doing anybody any good staying open.

18. Dela

Ah who cares, a lot of ppl got help from this thread but ye maybe it is time we leave it rest!.

19. abrogard

abrogard Regular member

Well I'll tell you why I like this thread - it's being watched by some intelligent and helpful people.

And that's why I'd like to mention this question here... a question about burning VCD's..

How to burn a Powerpoint Presentation that has a home video as part of it (in fact most of it) onto a VCD?

I'm amazed to find I can't find the answer anywhere else. I'm amazed the Powerpoint FAQ which reckons to be the definitive source of all Powerpoint knowledge turns up nothing at all for a search on 'VCD'!

regards... abrogard

(and if someone has an answer and wants to direct me to a new thread to read it.. then that's okay by me...)

20. VCDjunkie

and you won't find anything on direct transfer from powerpoint to VCD, because powerpoint is not a video format. Concentrate on extracting the video to a file first, it has to be embedded and therefore has a way to extract.. Once extracted, then anything is possible.

(somebody thinks we are intelligent) *sigh*