1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying a burned copy disk

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by WelshBoa, Nov 22, 2003.

1. WelshBoa

WelshBoa Regular member

Hi Guys,

Yet another question for you helpful guys to answer. When I have burned an original disk, I have been wiping the file off my hard drive to save space, and using the burned copy as a master copy if you like.

As I dont have the original DVD's anymore I have made another copy for myself of some of the DVD's and this has worked.

However, with one master copy, it plays fine etc, but the DVD Shrink or DVD Encryptor doesnt recognise its files so I cant re-copy it??

Also a copy not done by myself that I tried just burning straight away wouldnt work. I am re-encrypting it with Shrink as we speak and hopefully I can copy it then but there should be no reason why it wont copy straight away surely?? Its not taking up to much memory or anything.

Anyway, appreciate any advice you can throw my way

*na just re-encrypted it and as I go to burn it says "unexpected error during dvd processing" on Nero.....

Last edited: Nov 22, 2003
  2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

As you probably know, when you have backed a dvd up then ALL encryption should have been removed.

Therefore all you are left with is 'pure' transferrable data....

Try just copying the contents of the VIDEO_TS folder directly to another VIDEO_TS folder on your HD within windows.
    Then burn it back as normal......rather than running it through ANY ripping/re-authoring s/ware......

Don't know about the Nero issue but I can only assume that Dvd Shrink is adding/removing/rewriting something that doesn't need to be altered (maybe worth checking settings)....providing that it has read ALL the data successfully.....

Hope you get there......

Just to add I have no probs making copies of backups 'disc to disc' using Recordnow DX.....

3. WelshBoa

WelshBoa Regular member

Is that programme free to use;)

When you say copy VIDEO_TS file to another hard drive slot I'm slightly lost??

Sorry

You mean explor disk and just transfer that file over?

I tried the direct route and it failed!

Some have worked direct though.

On a seperate issue some of the DVD's I have burnt have had several english audio channels. I normally"check" all english audio but on one disc it starts with Directors commentary rather than the film audio.

Now, I know how to change it (just use remote control) but to say a woman, or uneducated bloke who borrowed the DVD they may not work it out so how do I distinguish what audio channels are relevant?

4. RWG

RWG Regular member

Try a straight DVD COPY in Nero. You might use a RW disc to see if it works.

RWG

5. DSYF3R

DSYF3R Regular member

Welshboa, I'm sure that there are women on this forum that know a hell of a lot more than you...

6. ls3mach

ls3mach Member

Hi all,
    I have successfully made copies of a backup. Heres how you do it. Get alchohol 120%, then make an image. Next burn the image to a disk. You could probably do the same with Record Now Max. Also you could just copy the VIDEO_TS files and then burn it like that. But I personally do the image way.

Hope this helps
    Lonzo

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

BTW the quality of the media used for the original backup is also important......if it is crappy then your readers may ALSO have trouble reading/transferring it to your HD or another disc....

In terms of copying it to your HD....create a folder on your desktop (or somewhere on your HD), then open windows explorer and drag the complete VIDEO_TS folder from the disc to the 'new folder' on your desktop)......just like copy and paste - drag n drop....

Now at this point if the read rate drops down close to 0.0x, then the reader is struggling to transfer the data and the most likely cause is the media....

Another method is use Dvd Decrypter in ISO read mode - this will create an image on your HD...then use ISO write mode to burn the image back.........this method worked well for me when I started out using crappy media....

Alternatively you could use Nero or Recordnow DX to create an image OR copy on the fly...

Copying on the fly is risky, especially if you are using low quality media and low pC specs....
    The safest way is to use the image route as described......

Your main problem as I see it is ACTUALLY retrieving the data from the backup.....and not the method...try one of the suggestions either here or what the others suggested......

RE: the audio issue....

Basically there are 3 types of audio (sometimes more) contained on a dvd...
    Eng 2ch
    Eng ac3 5.1
    Eng ac3 DTS

Now commonly the 'directors commentary' resides within the 2ch stream.

Eng ac3 5.1 is the COMMON one to keep as this usually is 'director free' and normal TV's will downmix this stream to stereo (if on the tv).

Eng ac3 DTS is a higher level encoded stream and usually can only be decoded via a seperate amplifier or home theatre system OR dvd player that is capable of decodeding the stream.....if you have neither then you will hear NO AUDIO......

Goto http://www.chrismccann.co.uk for some more info....

Using the various software knocking around you can strip out the 2 ch and just keep the ac3 5.1 - these are normally easy to spot.....

If you KEEP the 2 ch, this normally defaults to address 0xEA which is the 1st audio address location within the IFO file.....which can also be altered in Ifoedit (but that is a little deep for what you need).....

My advice is only keep the Eng ac3 5.1.......I keep the above and also the DTS stream if available.......

Hope this helps....

8. WelshBoa

WelshBoa Regular member

Baabaa,

Thanks, That was one hell of an informative answer and as you say, its not the copying of the file, but getting the programme to read it.

When you say quality of the media do you mean the Disk it has been written on?

Thanks once again!

DSYF3R - I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I shouldn't really have stereotyped all women with the same brush. May I take this opportunity to apologise to all women who know how to use a remote control on this forum.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2003
  9. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Hee Hee LMAO......good come back....

Yep the media - is the disc it is written on....many different brands are available due to consumer demand and companies competing with each other.....

It maybe that the 'brand' you are reading from is of low quality, by this I mean it may be suitable for small data files BUT not suitable for high speed transfer such as video/audio streams - usually between 4Mb/s to 8 or 9 Mb/s.....

What brand is it that you are using?

Have you tried the ISO mode in Dvd Decrypter to create and burn the image?

I started many moons ago....yawn....with 1x Eperformance dvd-r discs, now even though I could burn video to them, making a copy of them was VERY difficult as my reader had difficulty reading it...
    It wouuld play OK in the PC BUT if I skipped chapters, fast scanned OR tried to just 'drag' the contents to the HD then it would have trouble reading it....

When the reader has problems obtaining the info ,it reduces the read speed in order to try and retrieve the data...if it goes TOO slow it will basically 'hang' there.....

I then used Dvd Decrypter to transfer them to a higher quality disc and chucked the eperformance ones.....

What most people use (inc myself) are RITEK GO4 dye based discs.......of course the media issue may not be your problem....but from what I have read it comes close to it.....

That link I posted earlier, have a look there as there have been some media tests posted there and may help you.........

We love women REALLY, who cares if they cannot use a remote - we can teach them and they could then teach us ALL a thing or 2......LOL

10. koola

koola Guest

Guide for using DVD Decrypter is at my site.

Link below :D

PS NO women can use remotes as we just use them for their bodys! hehe.

11. WelshBoa

WelshBoa Regular member

12. WelshBoa

WelshBoa Regular member

Your decryptor method worked!

Youre a star!

13. koola

koola Guest

No problem WelshBoa.

Happy to help a Newbie :D

14. WelshBoa

WelshBoa Regular member

OK, if I am dowmnloading a movie off the net, whats the best format to look for it in?

DivX / AVI / mpeg..........??

I know it then gets more complicated but just so I know. What programme do you use? Shareza, imesh, kazaa?

15. koola

koola Guest

Better not ask that here as it is against ADs rules!

Out of the three formats, DivX will be the best.

Run, the RIAA are coming. Hide!

16. WelshBoa

WelshBoa Regular member

Sorry I apologise about that...... I was talking about home movies though........ and not of the Blue kind!